Let's talk socks!

KeikoOka

Anyone who spends a lot of time out doors or in the woods know that you must have good shoes and socks. What type of socks does everyone wear for their outdoor treks?

Bruen

You are absolutely right about the importance of good socks. A bad pair can ruin a trip and your feet. I use Thorlo Coolmax socks in the summer and Smartwool mountaineering socks in the winter. Steer clear of cotton socks.

failghe

Good socks cost a lot, but worth it if you can afford them. So for now I use underarmour heatgaurd in the summer. Moisture wicking and comfortable for now. You are right it was a huge difference when I switched from cotton!

jeddah

My favorite dream camping socks would be the waterproof type, something like the Seal Skinz brand. I'm planning to buy a pair for my next camping trip.

Newanderthal

pair of sock liners (sometimes substitute dress socks for these) and a thicker pair of moisture wicking hiking socks worn over them.

That combo and my trusty boots have never caused a blister.

DThewanderer

Thanks for the tips everyone. I have never realized how much my cotton socks hurt my feet. I will defiantly be picking up a dozen pairs of proper hiking socks soon.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
I have never used expensive hiking socks. I use plain old cotton-blend sports tube socks and have not had a blister in probably 20 years.

For me it's all about the shoes or boots on my feet. If those are proper, the socks just seem to fall in line.

The only thing I do wear that is different is heavy wool socks in the winter (with heavily lined winter boots), but like I say, with proper fitting, good quality boots, I don't really have a problem.

As others have said though, I pack lots of socks and change them often.

faye

I use Thorlos socks on camping outdoors. The product has protective paddings so that my feet would feel maximum comfort and should be blister-free during all my favorite outdoor activities.

OutdoorsGirl

I bought hiking socks that help absorb sweat and the like. I bought them on sale but they are only for cooler weather, I need to find some for warm weather.

foxylady

I wear Nike brand running socks. They are padded in all the right places and are basically sweat proof. In the winter I wear heavy duty wool though with sturdy boots.

hydethebeef

I can see why wool socks are great. I know that sailors used to be called woolies because they would wear wool to keep them from getting hypothermia. I believe that wool wicks moisture away. I think I have seen cotton wool hybrid socks before but I have not tried those.