Moonlight Hiking

JeepThrills

A park near us does a guided moonlight hike every time there is a full moon. I am such a big klutz, however, I wonder if I would keep tripping over stuff? Has anyone ever been on one before and how did you do?

Fox & Hounds

I've night hiked a few times. More out of needing or wanting to get to a spot on the trail rather than just for the fun of being out at night. I have to move a little slower and be more deliberate at night.

I've noticed too that I cannot gauge time or distance very well at night.

Grandpa

Funny you should ask. I just came from the "Staying up late" thread where I mentioned my enjoyment of late night hikes. I think a guided night hike would be excellent for you.
Yes, you might trip a time or two but that would end with the learning process. A hike like this would also give you a whole new perspective of the out of doors. Hopefully, your guide will give you little spots of time, where he doesn't feel compelled to be talking and lets you just gaze and admire the night sky and forest around you.

ppine

Forester
I like to be out at night. There is plenty of light to see on moonlight nites, especially with snow on the ground. I have a friend in the landscape business that creates moonlight gardens, lots of white flowers. We like to wander around those at night. X-C skiing is great with a moon. Bring a headllamp for tight spots. You don't need a guide if you hike in places you have been before or stay on a path or road.

Most people use too much light at night and their eyes never get adjusted. Save flashlights and headamps for tight spot or task lighting. Going out at dusk to look for critters is one of my favorite activities which requires coming back to camp in the dark.

Indiana and Catspa are right that hiking alone at night is guaranteed to heighten all your senses.

Last edited:

catspa

I have a friend who likes to beach hike, and frequently the tides are such that we'll go out in daylight and hike back in the dark, especially this time of year. I find that hiking in the dark improved my other senses, goofy as it sounds.

Parker

DMan

This is something I've never tried, but it sounds like something for a future camping trip. The full moon is always so bright so if you were hiking in an open area, the chance of tripping over something would be minimized. I think I'd bring a small flashlight as a back-up.

BGreen

I was on a woods walk during Halloween of this year, and I hated it. I swore then I would not go again. I was continually tripping over tree roots and not able to see where I was going. It may be different out in the open with a full moon. I did not enjoy the walk.

IndianaHiker

I do this a great deal and never have any problems. Most if the night hiking I do is in the back county. I see no reason not to go sounds like there will be a group there and just follow the leader.

Barney

I often hike at night but I always use a flashlight and then it's like being in a complete dark. So I guess it's not the same as enjoying the moonlight.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
The light of the full moon can be so bright you wouldn't need a light if there's no tree or cloud cover. Of course if you are walking along the side of a mountain with a drop off, you might want some extra light. Try and get a headlamp with a red light option, or a flashlight with a red lens cover. Red light saves your night vision, so if you have to use a burst of light here and there you won't be blind for ten minutes while your eyes readjust.

JeepThrills

I just looked up the information on the hike. It is a 1.5-mile hike and is listed as "moderately difficult." It goes inside the ruins of an old textile mill, which I've seen in the daylight, but I bet looks a lot more interesting at night!