MRE's

sarahlorrain

We don't. After being in the Army, and eating MRE's for nearly every meal for 5 months straight, my husband said he doesn't ever want another one. I hear some of them are actually pretty good, though.

HereToday

My Dad, who was in WWII, felt the same way about Spam. Even at just the mere mention of it, he'd go green.

shaan

Before you rush out to buy MRE-type products or camping foods, you should have some idea what your dining experience will be like - and know that you probably can do just as well stocking up on nonperishable foods at your closest grocery store. Groceries carry familiar, markedly less-expensive, long-keeping products your family will eat - instant soups and beverages, peanut butter, canned tuna or chicken, crackers and canned fruits and vegetables.

steven

General contents may include:

main course (entree)
side dish
dessert or snack (often a commercial candy or a fortified pastry)
crackers or bread
spread of cheese, peanut butter, or jelly
powdered beverage mix: fruit flavored drink, cocoa, coffee or tea, sport drink, or dairy shake.
utensils (usually just a plastic spoon)
flameless ration heater (FRH)
Accessory pack:
xylitol chewing gum
water-resistant matches
napkin / toilet paper
moist towelette
seasonings, including salt, pepper, sugar, creamer, and/or Tabasco sauce
Many items are fortified with nutrients. In addition, DoD policy requires units to augment MREs with fresh food and A-rations whenever feasible, especially in training environments.

anand

Try them and you'll be surprised how good MRE's are. Make sure your getting the real deal. Some other suppliers will buy an old main entree then various non-MRE components and assemble their own "MRE" packet and they won't have nearly the quality or shelf life as ours.

tater03

I have MRE's before and honestly have never had a need or wanted to take them camping. I guess if there was nothing else to eat I would consider it.

justontime

I have never taken them, for the sort of camping we do it is not difficult to plan meals with ordinary non perishable foods.

oldsarge

Even after having them in the Army, I still like them, but then I like TV dinners and Airline food back in the day when you actually got a meal on a plane. MRE's can be a little pricey at times depending where you get them. Most back packers don't care for them due to their weight, excessive calories and flavor. Mountain House makes much better tasting meals and probably healthier for you too.

Trailer

We have a bunch of these, but not for camping. We live next to a major military base-one that, for various reasons would be a target if anything big went down. So we have an emergency box for the family that we can throw in the car, and we have MREs in there.

IndianaHiker

Even after having them in the Army, I still like them, but then I like TV dinners and Airline food back in the day when you actually got a meal on a plane. MRE's can be a little pricey at times depending where you get them. Most back packers don't care for them due to their weight, excessive calories and flavor. Mountain House makes much better tasting meals and probably healthier for you too.
+1 to all of that. I would never bring them. Only good thing about then is that you certainly wont have to go to the bathroom often if you eat many of these. They will set up in your bowels like concrete.

oldsarge

+1 to all of that. I would never bring them. Only good thing about then is that you certainly wont have to go to the bathroom often if you eat many of these. They will set up in your bowels like concrete.
But when you do go...Watch out!

Barney

I don't carry MRE's every time but some entree pouch cab be found in my pack from time to time. What I do carry is Mainstay Food Rations.