Newbie Necessities

Pepsigal

Ok after my post about a pack, I decided not to go out without one. I know water and food is a necessity, but just for an afternoon hike, moderate elevation into the woods that I am already somewhat accustom to, what should I minimally take with me?

oldsarge

In addition to what you mentioned, maybe a small poncho or something to string up in case you wanted to stay dry during a down pour, first aid supplies for the minor things, map & compass, fire starting materials, maybe a cell phone if it gets coverage. I'm keeping this small, not knowing how much you want to carry or the size of your pack. I carry a lot, probably too much, but I like the extra weight as a work out during my hikes. Plus if need be I can always use anything extra I'm carrying. I read a lot on emergency and wilderness survival. There are so many different ways to be prepared while out in the sticks. Everybody has their own favorite things to carry, There are some basic items but you need to use a little trial and error to see what else you may want to bring.

Michael

What you should take varies in accordance with your needs. Here's what I carry with me on a typical afternoon hike, in no particular order:

water (either a liter bottle or hydration bladder)
food (typically a Cliff bar or two, perhaps with some fruit)
Victorinox knife
sharpening stone
bug spray
sun screen
hand sanitizer
compass
about five feet of duct tape I wound into a a tight roll
emergency blanket
emergency rain poncho
basic first aid kit
flashlight with backup batteries
strike anywhere matches in water tight container, with some lint to assist fire starting
emergency whistle
a length of paracord
permethrin treated head net
water purification chemicals
an extra layer in case it gets cold
an extra pair of socks
sometimes, a fixed blade knife (generally a Mora)

This all fits in my MULE, with extra room for anything else I might want to bring. It's enough that I have my basic survival needs covered in case something goes wrong. I can use this stuff to build a basic shelter and a fire, make water safe for drinking, adjust to changing weather, and treat minor injuries.

OutdoorsGirl

I always take too much stuff with me. I hate wanting stuff and not having it with me. I can really strategically take things with me so that I have what I want with me.

freedommachine

Depending on how wet the area is there can be a lot of bugs. So me and my wife both carry boonie hats and a bug net to go over them. The nets are cheap at walmart or wherever you get them. Bug spray doent seem to work to great somtimes. Plus bug spray can block the pores in your skin and cause you to overheat easier. So the nets can help. Yes I hate wearing them, but somtimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Sophia

For an afternoon hike, I really don't take very much (assuming it is just a short walk through well-traveled paths). I know that's probably not a good idea, but I don't like to be weighted down. I spray myself down with Off! and take water, cell phone and an energy bar or two, but that's it.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
Water at the minimum, even if I'm just going down the road to a favorite spot I take water, fire starting tools, knife, power bars.

You never know.

Kenser321

Here's a list of the stuff I took on my last day hike. I carried the bag for my fiance and I.
1. 2 water jugs equalled about a half gallon.
2. snacks- including 2 footlong hoagies.
3. 2 rain ponchos
4. 2 headlamps
5. change of clothes for both of us.
6. 2 extra full water bottles.
7. 3 digital camers
8. extra batteries
9. 2 pairs of water shoes

Ok I think there was a few little things, but heres what I should have lost. 2 of the cameras, the extra batteries, the changes of clothes except socks, I should have switched the hoagies for calorie bars maybe some GORP, and maybe 1 headlamp. The hike wasnt any longer than 6 hours by the time we stopped and took pictures at all of the 23 waterfalls.

Most likely we could have done much better with my CamelBak, a few millenium bars, and possibly a small flashlight. Maybe some paracord and a rain poncho just in case.

wvbreamfisherman

Make a tiny survival kit like the one linked to below, and keep it with you when you're out of sight of the road. Also,take water and maybe an energy bar or two.
Make a Survival Kit out of an Altoids Tin | Field & Stream

As mentioned above- let someone know where you're going and when you expect to be back. If something bad happens, its a great reassurance to know that someone will come looking for you!