Night Hunting

CFlyer

Do you hunt at night? What animals do you normally catch at night?

I haven't tried hunting at night but it seems more challenging because we would fight sleepiness and it will be harder to see what we are hunting. Can we use headlights or torch when we hunt at night?

woodzman

The only animals we can legally hunt at night here in NY are predators, like coyote fox and raccoon. They're sensistive to white light and will shy away from it a lot of the time so I use a red lens on my light.

Last edited:

Bumpkin

I'm not sure about other states, but I know Pennsylvania has a law that you have to be out of the woods by sunset during hunting season. When I lived there we would once in a while see guys driving through the woods with a spotlight looking for deer. That's called deer jacking and it is a crime punishable by arrest and a pretty hefty fine.

Pennsylvania may have a predator rule as well, but I can't say for sure. It would make sense that they would though.

Camoguy

Yeah, I've heard that. I wouldn't want to be in the woods after dark here unless I had to. I'm on the local rescue squad and we've had to go in and get a hunter quite a few times because he's lost his way. It's not safe to hunt at night. Only poachers hunt at night. They like to spot light deer here and kill them. I'd rather have to hunt for them than kill them wholesale like that.

grand

First time I heard about night hunting! It would be harder to see your prey at night. They would sense your presence first and that could be dangerous.