Open container law

Bumpkin

Do all states have an open container law while boating? Is this something that is strictly enforced where you live? I have been to some places where it is overlooked and others where they enforce it as seriously as they would drunk driving in a car.

WileECoyote

I don't know about all states but ours does. And if a state doesn't then they need to. I don't think drunk boating is any smarter than drunk driving on dry land. I've seen too many boating accidents caused by drunk or drugged individuals. Not pretty. :(

campclose

I'm not sure about all states, but I know our state has a law against having an open container in a boat. A boat is a vehicle and you cannot drink in the boat. You can also be arrested for drinking and driving.

Adventurelover

I live in GA and while it is not illegal to have an open container in the boat they do have a legal limit of .08 the same as operating a vehicle. I agree with this, driving a boat is just like driving anything else and if you are under the influence you are going to do stupid things.

Isaac

Indiana has an open container law but on the reservoirs in my area is not strictly enforced. In fact, you rarely see anyone monitoring the waterways.

HikerChick

There isn't even an open container law for driving here in the Virgin Islands. You'll still get pulled over, breathalyzed, and charged with a DUI if necessary, but there's no extra charge for an open container. Boating is even more carefree...but most of the people here are responsible about it.