Pancake recipe question

DThewanderer

I was adding some new recipes to our camping book and I notices the pancake recipe called for two table spoons vinegar. Why would you put vinegar in pancakes, is that really necessarily?

ppine

Forester
Vinegar acts much like sourdough. It reacts with the yeast or baking powder to create little bubbles of carbon dioxide. That makes for light and fluffy pancakes.

ponderosa

The gentlemen above are correct. You won't notice any vinegar flavor. If you leave it out, you will notice a difference in texture. Your pancakes will be flatter, and probably a little rubbery. They would still taste fine, though.

KeikoOka

I had no idea that vinegar could be used that way. We have never used it in our pancakes, but I think we will have to start doing that. We use a lot of cinnamon in them though; research shows cinnamon is great for brainpower.

ponderosa

I had no idea that vinegar could be used that way. We have never used it in our pancakes, but I think we will have to start doing that. We use a lot of cinnamon in them though; research shows cinnamon is great for brainpower.
Recipes without vinegar or buttermilk usually have more leavening to compensate.
I love using spices for antioxidant benefits, too.

Rosie

I mix the vinegar with the milk before measuring my powdered ingredients. By the time everything else is measured, the vinegar has thickened the milk. You can also use lemon juice in place of vinegar if you want. Just use about twice the amount of lemon juice as you would vinegar and it works great.

limbs

I tried adding vinegar to our pancakes this morning. They were much fluffier and somehow better. I can not believe we have been missing out on this one all these years.

Lamebeaver

If you're adding vinnegar you will also want to cut back on backing powder and add some baking soda.

For example, if your recipe calls for milk and 4 tsp baking powder, you will want to use buttermilk (or milk and vinegar) with 2 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp baking soda.