People Who Won't "Rough It"

Benny

Don't you hate people who go camping, but then want to keep running back to civilization because they need this or that.... What is the whole point of camping, then?

BTBoop

I don't hate these people because I may fall into the same category at times. When my children were small I know it was necessary to go get things. The point for us was we were on vacation and away from home.

twodogs

steven randall
If you would like some history, When Lewis and Clark set out on there Trek out west in 1804 they camped on the out skirts of St. Louis Mo. Set there Camp up stayed there for a while or so, Just to make sure they had every thing they needed for there trip . Of course they were going to be gone for a long time and had to truly live off the land . But there were some things that they needed. I Have been camping For years And still forget stuff. I think every one forgets something . Besides its a good reason to go in to town and look around, If its a new town to you .

Qweetzy

Well, I have forgotten my boxers on occasion. Not deliberately mind you, but I didn't go to town to replace them either. Scotsmen can go commando under their kilts, surely I can in my cargos.

tentmom

No I don't hate it either. I say to each their own and that means with camping too. I think it's great that they even come out to camp if they would rather not camp. I have a friend who likes to run home to shower.

April

When I am camping I just deal with it if I am lacking something. I have forgotten things on occasion, but usually not necessities. I do not hate those that forget things it happens what you do in response is up to you..either deal with it or go get a replacement.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I figure we're talking about wants not needs. If I want something and it's available, I'm going to go get it.

Benny

Still, I think that you should try to make do with what you have and just enjoy nature. Isn't that the whole point of the thing?

Grandpa

Guilty, during the GK era (growing kids) It was a treat to go to the mountains and a pain in the hooty to go home morning and night to milk the cows or turn the water. But this was still preferable to not going to the mountains at all.

Michael

I don't hate those people, but I'm not one of them. I tend to want to go out into the woods, do woodsy stuff until I'm done, then leave. If I can't fit it into one trip in my pack, I can probably live without it for a day or two.

Judy Ann

My sister had to go back home to get her cell phone "just in case there was an emergency" while we rode horses in Big South Fork, TN. Darn if she didn't HAVE to disturb the peace and quiet talking loudly on her phone part of the way telling her friends how beautiful and "peaceful" everything was on the trail. If she wasn't the better rider she would have had to eat my dust...still chaps my hide...;-)

Bob

I understand where you are coming from, and I share your camping ethic. Americans are pretty darned spoiled when it comes to conveniences, so it's kind of no surprise.

TonyC

Love to Camp in TT
I like to rough it. I can make do with what I have or do without what I forgot to bring. The wife on the other hand is miserable without all the conveniences of home. so we have a trailer which is always over stocked and then we still go out of more stuff.
It is the only way I can get her to go out and camp so that is what I do, i still enjoy it though and look forward to every trip.

Lorax

There are many different levels of wilderness and camping experiences. Something for everybody. People do what works for them. Doesn't make it wrong, as long as they respect where they are camping and follow the rules to keep the places clean.

Bud

I agree. There are many levels of camping. Not everyone is inclined to go the "hard core" route, and not everyone is able, either. That shouldn't preclude anyone from enjoying the outdoors.

InTheWoods

My hat is off to you Benny, you sound like a man who could survive in the wild! We are a society of convenience, so it makes it very easy to run for this 'n that. I've become victim to that myself on occassion. The real point IMO though, is just to make sure we have a good time. If this is one way to get people out in nature that might not otherwise go, then I think it's a good thing. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

ChadTower

I don't care what someone else is doing so long as it's not up to me to make sure it happens. What I hate is when one of those people is looking to me to bring them into town to get whatever it is they want. Want something? Go get it! Want me to get it for you? Probably not going to happen.