Pest control, small animal hunting

jason

fear no beer
Ok, I've heard of people using BB Guns for pest control and small game hunting. Now I have an old, and I mean 1980's or so old BB Gun. Last week I found out this gun would not work so well for this. The mail man stopped at my house with a squirrel that was ran over. He found the thing crawling with his front legs across the street (his back half was ran over), and picked it up and brought it over. He did not want to see it suffer and thought I could help. So I dug out the old BB gun and though no problem, a few pumps of the gun and a bb to the head and it would be over. Well, I was wrong. The BB's and a few flat pellets would not manage to do more then get stuck in the fur. We ended up having to dispatch him another way.

So I was thinking this weekend that it may be time to upgrade the old BB gun. I did some searching around amazon.com and found this one. Amazon.com: GAMO Varmint Hunter Air Rifle with 4X32 Scope, Laser, Light and PBA Ammunition (.177 Caliber): Sports & Outdoors But never heard of that brand before. I had actually found this one first Amazon.com: Crosman Air Rifle TAC1-Extreme Kit .177 Rifle Scope Case Pellets Md: CT1K77XKT: Sports & Outdoors But thought it was more in the looks department and less in the power department.

So what are some recomendations from OBC'ers? No real serious hunting, just some pest control and target practice when I get some land. Something that will actually do the job if something like the story above happens agian.

hummingbird

I have a little hand gun that I use for things like this. It would kill a man if I got a shot in the right place but for small game, especially in a case like this, it would work just fine. I usually shot possum from around my house with it, I have so many and they get in my trash all of the time. But of course if you shine a light on a possum they freeze and are easily dispatched.

CZ550hunter

I know this is an old post and you have probably already made your decision but i just came across this and wanted to give my feedback anyways for anyone else possibly int he market for a small game pellet rifle.

Of the two guns you mentioned i actualy own the gamo and it is AMAZING. It will take you some time to get used to it as its a very powerful air rifle but jsut the BBgun you grew up plinking cans with. The scope is decent and will work for anything you will be shooting in your backyard but you would not want it for anything greater than 20 yards or so. The gun itself is VERY accurate but it will take a while longer than even with a real gun to get sighted in, it jsut takes some finess and getting used to the trigger pull. The effectivenes of the gun is great, i got some of the armor piercing pellets also gamo brand and i have no trouble shooting through old lisence plates and still having the pellets get imbedded in plywood behind the lisence. I shot a 25Lb possum from approx 10 yards a few weeks back and it rolled the thing. One well placed shot to the top of the head and it just dropped no problem.

I would reccomend this gun to anyone looking for a nice pellet gun. If your going to be killing animals with it i would reccomend nothing below a 1200 FPS gun, others will work but will not be as humane and quick as a 1200 FPS gun. Good luck in your search.

upoutdoorsman

save the money buy a crossman 1000 from your local dunhams for like 80 bucks i think now theyre cheap and shoot great i got mine and love it just make sure u keep the screws at the end of the stock tight but i can hit a dime at prolly 15 yards with the scope it comes with and i shoot clear through the one side of a 55 gallon metal drum so yes it has power great value

sh4d0wm4573ri7

I have a 177. caliber RWS German Precision air rifle and I love it it shoots a pellet 1100fps and is also quite accurate useful for very small game game and close shots. I would opt for a .22 or .25 today if I were to purchase one. I grew up with Crossman the pistol and the rifle started with Daisy and here we are.

Camoguy

An axe to the neck would have probably done the same thing but yeah, I think an air rifle would do the varmit control problem. I hate that people run over live things and then just go one. Why don't they stop and either dispatch it themselves or take it to the vet.

Dougdad

archeryaddict
And some say hunters are heartless! poppy cots!

I always strive for a clean kill, if I cant make it I let it go. simple as that. If I hit something with my truck I always make sure it is not suffering.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Rather than waste the ammunition, you can pick the squirrel up by the tail and swing it hard, cracking its' head against a tree. This may sound ugly. But, it is quick.

Any pellet rifle will do the trick. The better ones provide muzzle velocities from 900 to 1200 fps. Crossman has one now that has a power piston instead of a spring that will deliver 1500fps. This is every bit as fast as a hot .22LR and is quite deadly for small game. And, you can use it inside the city limits of most towns because it is not a firearm.

YogiBear

I have a small handgun and a 22 that I use to dispatch pestering armadillos and raccoons. Occasionally, I may come across a possum that needs to go.

CatsEye

I hate to see an animal that's been left in the road to die. I also hate to see them left there for ever until all they are is a greasy spot. Heartless people. I keep a shovel in the back of the truck and move them if their dead, if they're not, I have a pistol that helps them get out of their misery.

BTBoop

I remember as a little girl my uncle shooting a rat or mouse in the house with some kind of gun. I always thought he said it was rat shot or something but I have no idea.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Ratshot is a pistol shotshell loaded with very small lead shot. It is available in .22, .25, .38/.357, and .45 (Colt and ACP). Those are the ones I know. It is probably available in many other calibers. It will kill a rat and anything smaller at close range.