Raccoons

bugsy

We love to go to a place here in Florida to camp. It`s really right on a beach but you do feel like your in the woods too. They have so many raccoons there it`s unbelievable. They come right up to your picnic table too. Last time we were there, as soon as we went into the tent we could hear them fighting over the scraps. A bit scary for me.

jason

fear no beer
They can be a pest. They know how to work bungee cords and can unstrap coolers. Smart little things if you ask me. They will even chew through a tent to get food.

Before trying any of these methods check with the parks. Dog repellent from the dog store work on raccoons most time. Cayenne pepper is said to upset their sense of smell. They are said to hate that smell.

A homemade pepper-based repellent:
1 quort of water
1 jalepeno pepper, cut in half
2 tablespoons of ground cayenne pepper.
Put all together and boil for about half an hour.
Let mixture cool and remove jalapeno pepper.
Pour mixture into spray bottle.
Spray and area around campsite. Reapply daily.

By the way, where in Florida is the camp site?

kernow

We don't get raccoons in England, I can see that they would be a bit of a pest when camping but I would love to see them.

Taggart

Once in the suburbs were were surprised when a large raccoon got on our back deck and tried to open our garbage bin. It was surprising how bold he was. Our cats were scared to get close to the window.

Raccoons seem to feel right at home even around houses.