Repelling

Woodzie

Have you ever repelled down a cliff? How about into a cave?

I have repelled off a side of a cliff. The drop was not that far down. It was maybe 15 feet. I know--sounds kind of a wimpy repel but let me tell you, I was so scared..lol It took me awhile to actually walk over the edge. Once I made it down to the bottom though, I was jumping up and down and screaming. I was so excited and proud of myself that I did it. I went up and did it another 5 times..lol

Have you enjoyed this same rush?

Tomboy

...I was so scared..lol It took me awhile to actually walk over the edge....
Wow, good for you! I don't think I'd be able to go over the edge at all. I would probably irritate the people with me. I am so afraid of heights. This is something that I would love to be able to do, but it won't be happening anytime soon.

Campergal

I have enjoyed the rush. I do know what you mean about going over the edge. It can be very scary at first. I am use to it now and am comfortable when it comes to walking over the edge. Keep it up--you'll be a pro before you know it.

Foytey

Repelling is sick! So much fun, but when people freak they tend to forget what exactly they should or have to do to be successful and not hurt themselves.

Foytey

True story a buddy jumped off a massive cliff into the water and he was fine, but the next guy jumped in feet first like all others but tucked his head in and looked down. Next thing we know he hits the water and comes up a bloody mess. Nose messed, teeth jacked into lip and was roughed up pretty good, so when someone says don't look down, say "yes sir!"

Taggart

I've never done anything like that. I know someone who repelled down the side of a building, under close supervision.

I don't think I'll be trying either kind, because I'm not good with heights. I think it's cool if you can do it though.

oldsarge

It is a lot of fun, when I was stationed in the desert at Fort Irwin we used to find place out there that were abandon gold mines, some where holes straight down and we would rappel down into them to check it out.

Benny

I don't know if I am ready for all of that yet. At some point in the future, maybe, but I am still having a hard enough time just getting up there!

oldsarge

The hardest part is getting in that seated position with your butt hanging off the edge. It's just not natural to back up over a cliff. After receiving some good quality instruction, the next thing to be concerned about is the quality of your equipment. If it's new and rated for the job, have faith in it and go out and have some fun. I use to run a small rappel point at our local Churches family camp out. The kids loved it, they would rappel down to a stream bed, then free climb back up (with a safety line attached and a belay man above).

oldsarge

Doing an "Australian" rappel out in the desert near Fort Irwin California. Boy those were the days! I'd love to be back doing that again.

flyinghawaiian

Love it! There is this one place I rock climb at and after setting up anchors, we rappel the cliff to the ledge below about 50 feet. I did a benefit rappel for the Boy Scouts last year down the side of a 300ft building. It sure was fun! :)

wvbreamfisherman

Never did the Austrailian rappel, but rappelled many times with the fire department. The toughest one was rappelling straight down off the end of the 75 foot aerial ladder. It was really really hard to climb over the end of the ladder with nothing but the rope to hold me up! Glad I only had to do that once!

oldsarge

Never did the Austrailian rappel, but rappelled many times with the fire department. The toughest one was rappelling straight down off the end of the 75 foot aerial ladder. It was really really hard to climb over the end of the ladder with nothing but the rope to hold me up! Glad I only had to do that once!
That aerial ladder would have been perfect for an Aussie rappel. Run right over the top and keep going!