Rip currents.

JimBob

I don't get parents. I was at the beach on The 4th of July and the water was very powerful with rip currents and waves. They even had a warning out there to swim at your own risk. These parents let there kids go out by themselves with no life jacket or anything and one of them, a 7 year old, drowned. It was horrible. The other kids were in trouble too, but they were saved. It took a helicopter to find the kid that drowned. I don't want to criticize the parents, because nothing will bring their kid back, but that water was giving me problems and I'm 200lbs. The warnings are posted for a reason.

AlwaysOutdoors

We've spent a lot of time at the beach so know all about those rip tides and they can be very dangerous! I wouldn't let our children actually get past their knees and was very careful then. It is NOT worth taking chances on. And it CAN happen to YOU.

calanta

People are idiots. We have a license saying we know how to drive a car, truck, etc. but anyone can claim to be a parent. Heck I have seen some people just do the dumbest things around their kids and talking about doing dumb things. Parents is a word that needs earned not one that should be given freely.

DylanT

If you're stuck in a rip tide swim ACROSS it not against or with it. And don't panic. Panic uses up energy.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
I don't get parents. I was at the beach on The 4th of July and the water was very powerful with rip currents and waves. They even had a warning out there to swim at your own risk. These parents let there kids go out by themselves with no life jacket or anything and one of them, a 7 year old, drowned. It was horrible. The other kids were in trouble too, but they were saved. It took a helicopter to find the kid that drowned. I don't want to criticize the parents, because nothing will bring their kid back, but that water was giving me problems and I'm 200lbs. The warnings are posted for a reason.
Criticize the parent's all you want it is their fault.

1) they ignored warnings on the beach.

2) they didn't supervise their kid.

3) they didn't tell the kid how to escape a rip tide.

People die, maybe next time the idiotic parent's will pay more attention?

Grandpa

This is a classic case of "dumbing down of America" and the parents learned well. ie; do whatever you want because no matter what happens, it's someone elses fault. [/I This problem took a major leap when a judge said "if you are stupid enough to spill hot coffee on yourself, we'll make the seller of the coffee give you a bunch of money cause you're too stupid to survive otherwise."

JimBob

If you're stuck in a rip tide swim ACROSS it not against or with it. And don't panic. Panic uses up energy.
Yes, this is actually posted on the side. However, I don't think the 7 year old that drowned knew this. It was a bad situation. They were actually preparing for a drill as part of the 4th of July celebration, so emergency vehicles were already there in the exact area where he drowned. The helicopter landed right on the beach after spoting the boy, and the rescue pulled him out with waverunners. People cheered because they thought he was rescued, but it was on the news that night that he didn't make it.

WalkingMan

Some people shouldn't be parents. It's vital that you be smarter than the child. It's a shame such a tragedy had to happen and I know the pain of losing a child. Mine died at a much older age and of natural causes, but it still hurts. I can't imagine losing a young one like that.