Showering without RV?

woodsman

What do you do when on extended camping trips and you eventually need to take a shower? This one usually ends the trip for me, since I start to smell way to "manly" after about three days in the wild without a shower.

striker

If you are near a body of water or just have some water to spare use some biodegradable soap and you are good to go, you can even manufacture a make shift shower cap out of some wood lying around :).

dinosaur

troublemaker
A very small amount of water will suffice to bathe. Daddy taught me the "bath in a teacup" technique when I was just a lad. A quart will do easily. One pint for washing and one pint for rinsing. This assumes you have a washcloth, if not you have to use your hands.

If you don't have that much water available, your stink is the last thing you should be worried about.

JDSport

I agree with dinosaur and I was taught the same with just a small cloth you can wash the necessities and I have used even a tee shirt or sock to wash with when I was not able to have a washcloth.

striker

Depends on the situation some people don't mind the musky smell some people do and as far as hygiene is concerned I don't think just water will do, you have the right to disagree, but I rather I don't end up with some kind of fungus because I only washed with water.

Betty

Usually we camp three weeks at a time. When we get to "that point", there sometimes are places you can pay for a shower. We also like to check into a motel for a night about every fifth night.

Bobby

When we are camping without bathing facilities, we bring a bar of soap. Handwashing, naturally, but then "pits & privates". Next is hair and feet. The rest can usually wait until we get home.

Lorax

A very small amount of water will suffice to bathe. Daddy taught me the "bath in a teacup" technique when I was just a lad. A quart will do easily. One pint for washing and one pint for rinsing. This assumes you have a washcloth, if not you have to use your hands.

If you don't have that much water available, your stink is the last thing you should be worried about.

Agreeing with this post here. I can take one of my pots and heat up some water with some biodegradable soap and get the job done if I'm not near a water source, and if it's cold and I am by water, I'll use this method too.

Frederico

I can go a pretty long time with my own smell ! It's all natural afterall - and "part of the experience". I do what others have said - use small a amount of water.

Can you really get fungus if you only wash with water as Striker says? It's not happened to me (yet).

Solar Shower

Sorry, I am not a camping wimp by any means but after riding horses for 27 miles in Michigans June heat and humidity, I need a good shower to get some decent sleep. IF I can't take a cool swim in the AuSable, I NEED a shower. Its not about stink (a little about not wanting fungus to grow in dark places) its about comfort.

I am doing the Michigan Shore to Shore this year out of the back of my van. (after my horse is hauled up by friends) I have already planned to purchase a solar shower bag and a lil tent for a shower. THAT will be my only luxury the whole trip.

I am concerned about what soap/shampoos will be environmently safe. I can't use Ivory, makes me break out. I was thinking of purchasing some of those farm made goats milk soaps that my fellow hobby farmers in town make. They are natural. I won't be in the same place showering every night. We move every day, except on layover days.

I found a solar shower bag at WalMart for $10. Holds five gallons of water, enough for a shower for me. I also found a shower tent for $35. Yeah, I could just rig up some tarps but again, after riding all day, I don't want to play around. IF I wasn't going alone, and had help, maybe but I am going by myself (with a huge group but the only one in my camp) I am content with this investment and don't feel guilty about it at all. I can use it during the summer when I take the horse camping as well. I don't mind living out of my van or out of the back of a horse trailer but I need to wash day long sweats OFF my body.