Small Space Gardening

Cappy

I figure no discussion of bush craft is complete with our a gardening section. I plan on sharing or back yard gardening post here and invite yall to do the same. Not only is it a fun, rewarding, out door activity but its rewards are far too many to list. The top of that list however has to be its TASTY. Here is the first of several posts to follow as the year rolls by. \Cappy & Pegody's World: February 2014 Square Foot Garden Report

Hikenhunter

Great subject Cappy. We don't do a whole lot of gardening anymore but we have done our share over the years. Most of our gardening is flowers these days but we do still plant up containers of some of our favorite vegetables. I will look forward to following your posts and might even be able to offer tid bits of advice from time to time as gardening is something that we are very familiar with even though we have set it aside for the last couple of years. Perhaps reading your posts might inspire us to do more gardening again. One thing is for sure, you will have some nice plants coming in by the time our gardening season gets started which is usually the middle of April.

Last edited:

Cappy

Thanks, alot of our outdoor activities are in our yard. We love nature and spend days even when we arent going anywhere enjoying it. We love to garden and grow things in our yard. We do have flowers and a couple non fruit bearing trees bt the majority of our yard gives back to us. I figure since its an outdoor activity I'd share with yall. We have taken square foot garden techniques and adapted them to our area. Our beds are raised on acounta all the rain we get. We string a sq foot grid to help us plant and keep up with harvest, We plant in a bed instead of rows, and when ya plant this way and plant stuff close together, there is very little weeding involved. With all this in mind I figured small space gardening would be a good bush craft subject. If ya agree feel free to comment and contribute. Maybe we can all learn a lil from it.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
I tumbled onto that style of gardening years ago and will say it is the best way to go. When I started it, I was surprised at how much I could get out of such a small area. And it is definitely gardening for the lazy.

Alas, I'm an apartment dweller now so containers are my only option.

jason

fear no beer
I converted what the previous owners were using as a dog run into a garden. Had to take down a few trees, but the area is already fenced. I typically use half a time trying to put plants that fix the soil for you in the other half, and the fact we have two warm season vegetables planting times here the crops get rotated some.

I also have about 20 blueberry bushes, 100+ strawberry plants, and numerous fruit/citrus trees.

I started some seeds before I left on my trip and came home to a few sprouts. Should be ready for planting in a few weeks. Really need the garden to pay off after a really bad winter. Plus my daughter may help out for more then 5 minutes at a time this year.

Some old pictures.

Attachments

Lorax

I've been square foot gardening for about 17 years now. the method works great. my home garden is 10' x 16' and always looks neat and well maintained with little effort. Well worth the try, for those thinking about it.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Well, I have a garden every year. I grow tomatoes, green beans, potatoes, carrots, peppers (both sweet and hot), turnips, onions, garlic chives, pumpkins, squash (zucchini, butternut, acorn and others), watermelon, kohlrabi, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, and some weird stuff like cabbage and a bunch of different varieties of lettuce.

I have fifty acres of ground but grow it all on less than an acre ( not that much less). I'm happy to see that other people grow their own produce. God bless you all.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
I've done both traditional gardening and square foot and I would choose square foot gardening over traditional any day. Less work, more produce.

Grandpa

Ahhh Cappy. You just had to show us your garden didn't you:tinysmile_fatgrin_t. However, it was a nice interlude between bringing in firewood and battening down the hatches as the next snow storm hits.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Cappy

As you can see the only thing that doesn't have kitty fence(chicken wire) around it is the Asparagus patch. Well it does now:tinysmile_hmm_t2: The kittys concentrated on that errr litter box since we had fenced every thing else in. So we fenced it, and now have several shoots growing.:tinysmile_grin_t: We picked a big one sliced it into little pieces and added it to a bowl of garden greens and had them for lunch today. Wonderful picking a meal outa your yard.

jason

fear no beer
Looking good. I finally was able to get into mine to start planting from the seeds I grew last month. Got some more seeds that need to be in the ground soon too. Trying out some weed block that is biodegradable this year.

As I tilled and weeded around the winter crop it made me wish I had the money for some boxes like you all have.