Space Between Your Back And The Bag

nomad

I have seen a backpack with a space between your back and the bag. This will let air pass through your back and your back won't become sweaty when you arrive at your destination. I will buy this one and see how it works.

FreeWilly

I don't really have a concern with a sweaty back as I'd sweating everywhere if I was back packing, but I'd like to see pictures of what exactly you're talking about. Do you have a link or just the picture of what you saw?

Lamebeaver

I haven't really found this to be a big issue. My Kelty internal pack fits pretty snug. You want most of your pack weight close to your back and high..

Michael

My back sweats like nuts. My older brother and I have been sweaty piggies since we were kids, and it's continued into our adult lives.

I try to buy packs that claim an increased amount of air flow in the back, and it never does a thing for me. They have channels that in theory carry air by your skin. I still end up where I'm going with my whole back soaking with sweat.

Some day I'm going to try one of those packs where there's a mess layer against your back, then a couple inches of air before the compartment starts. I haven't done it yet because I'm worried that having the weight so far from your center would be less comfortable. But some day I'm going to try, and hope that I finish my hike without a drenched back.

Some day....

IndianaHiker

The good back don't move the weight from your back. The Dueter has channels and the type of foam they use causes are to move as your body moves. Works better well. I do a good bet of trail and some rock scrambles and had not problems with center of gravity. I have noticed that the pack is cooler than the North Face and the Kelty that I used to use.

Tubby

Nice pack, Ihiker. I have a North Face pack and haven't had any trouble with it so far. I do get a bit sweaty, but I always figured that went along with hiking if you were getting on it. Wouldn't it be wonderful to be a tester for one of these companies. You could spend all of your time outside and doing what we all love to do best.

Grandpa

Same here with the old exterior frames Lorax. As for me, with a good moisture wicking base layer shirt and dropping my pack on rest breaks, I'm dry again in short order.

OwenM

I bought an Osprey 46 after shopping packs with good ventilation for the back, which my other packs did not have.
Wicking layers have nowhere to wick to with a pack that doesn't ventilate, and the Exos' Airscape suspension makes a huge difference. My first "test hike" was a 15 mile dayhike with heat index over 100 degrees, and it's probably the first time I've hiked in over 50 degree weather in Alabama that I didn't have sweat rolling down my back and between my butt cheeks. Our humidity often guarantees a lack of evaporative cooling, so I had doubts about whether the packbag being suspended away from the body would make much difference. It does.
The pack's first use was the second week of August, but it has ~200 miles on it already, due to weekly overnights and a trip that included 8 days of hiking.
You do not want this pack if it does not fit you perfectly(3 sizes, but no adjustable torso), or if you plan on carrying more than 30lbs on a regular basis(good support with a proper fit, but very little padding), but it has been wonderfully comfortable for me.

IndianaHiker

That is a nice pack Owen I looked at those but went with a Dueter Air Contact instead. The reason was just like you you stated the Osprey didn't fit me as well. I have been very happy with the Dueter and the way that the torso adjust on it thus far. I have about the same mileage on it as you have on the Osprey. I have the 50+15 needed a bit more room for winter backpacking here in Indiana.

OwenM

Those Deuter's are great packs. Really like the adjustable torso length on the AirContact series. Both my Mountainsmith Lookout 45 and Mystery Ranch Dragonslayer are fully adjustable, and it's a great feature. What neither has is good ventilation, though.
If I get a larger pack again, it will probably be the Deuter ACT 65+10, perhaps the Lite version. I've had the opportunity to check both models out twice, and the Lite with stuffing and a 25lb. sandbag, but not with my actual gear.

IndianaHiker

Those Deuter's are great packs. Really like the adjustable torso length on the AirContact series. Both my Mountainsmith Lookout 45 and Mystery Ranch Dragonslayer are fully adjustable, and it's a great feature. What neither has is good ventilation, though.
If I get a larger pack again, it will probably be the Deuter ACT 65+10, perhaps the Lite version. I've had the opportunity to check both models out twice, and the Lite with stuffing and a 25lb. sandbag, but not with my actual gear.
I also looked at a GoLite but didn't like that fact that the suspension was basically nothing. The Deuter was a few ounces heavier but better equipped to carry heavy loads since a few places I go don't have dependable water source as they are pretty dry in the summer and fall.

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
I have the 2011 Deuter Futura Pro 42 and it has the mesh back panel with lots of space for air to circulate. The mesh is coated in some type of plastic/rubber substance so it is not really all that cool. I love the pack but my back doesn't sweat any less than with my other packs.

OwenM

I also looked at a GoLite but didn't like that fact that the suspension was basically nothing. The Deuter was a few ounces heavier but better equipped to carry heavy loads since a few places I go don't have dependable water source as they are pretty dry in the summer and fall.
Didn't mean GoLite. Deuter has the Aircontact 65+10 that is 6lb 3oz and then the "ACT Lite 65+10" version at 3lb 15oz.
A pack that's 2 1/4lb lighter sounds pretty good if you don't need the more robust suspension plus extra durability and load-hauling of the heavier pack. I may need that, though, as combining climbing or canyoneering with overnight trips will mean carrying a lot more weight in gear than adding days to a backpacking trip would, and subject the pack to more wear. I don't necessarily know that I'll be doing overnights with those activities, yet, just looking ahead.

Newanderthal

I've seen those Osprey's with the gap. Even tried one on. It fit surprisingly snug and didn't feel like the gear was off balance or even pushed back, but I could feel the air go through.