Spelunking

HikerChick

The only times I've been in a cave were times where I was taking a very basic tour of caves and caverns, a-la-tourist. I know that's not "real caving," but how does an inexperienced person make that step to the next level? Is there any training necessary?

Bradsalex

I don't have any experience in "spelunking" per se, but if there was just one thing about it I would stress... make sure that the cave/mine you are going in is safe and has never had a history of collapse. I HAVE had experience in mining and mine rescue operations and the biggest hazard about working a mine is collapse.

As far as training? I don't believe that formal training is neccessary. Just have the right equipment (helmet, lights, back up lights...) and a good long rope to mark your trail.

HillbillyMama

There are always things that you can do to train however I would say that if you are just starting out then maybe hiring a guide would be best. Not necessarily one of the lazy little tour guides that walk you around the cave but an ACTUAL guide. lol

paloma

There are always guides when you go into a cave. Never venture into one without a native guide who knows the ins and outs of the cave's passages. It is scary to be lost in a cave's maze.