Staying Inside an Igloo

Morgan

Have you ever tried camping inside an Igloo? I can't understand how Igloos don't melt wherein the people inside it can cook. How do you make sure that the Igloo will remain sturdy?

jeddah

No I haven't tried camping inside an Igloo. I see them in some children's book but I've never seen a real igloo in my whole life. Maybe the snow that used to build an igloo has excellent insulating properties, the interior can melt but it can refreeze thus it gives strength to the igloo.

nomad

I have no idea on how to make an igloo as I am a nomad in the plains and forests. I would also love to know how Eskimos do this as their main home is made of snow blocks.

DThewanderer

I made an igloo with the neighborhood kids last year. After a freshly fallen snow we packed recycling bins full of the snow and packed them nice and tight to make the cubes. We did not cook inside of it but it was quite fun.

Fox38

There are no igloos around me. It's not cold enough when we camp to have igloos. I think it would be pretty neat though. I would love to go inside an igloo.

lbean

An igloo works because you keep the wind out and the air inside in. If you build the igloo so that the entrance is slightly below ground level then the wind can not get in. A true igloo is built from blocks of thick ice. When you have a fire inside the ice will melt very slowly. You do not want to keep a fire burning for long. Once you have raised the temperature body heat can keep you warm while the blocks refreeze.

Alliegator

I wouldn't even try it! I am not a cold weather person at all! I couldn't live up north, let alone in the artic. Give me a 100 degree day any time and I can do it. If I drop below freezing, I tend to freeze and slow down, sort of like a snake.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Michael

I have not personally been inside a real igloo, but I've talked to someone who has lived in a couple in Siberia.

His description made it sound sort of unpleasant. Not because of the cold (since it apparently gets pretty warm inside them), but because it starts to stink of human inside. Basically, if it's too cold outside to urinate or defecate, you do it in a bucket inside, bundle up, then carry the bucket outside to rid yourself of the waste. And since you are trying to retain heat, you're also trying to retain the warm air, so it quickly starts to stink.

My impression based on what I've heard is that it's way better than freezing, but not terribly fun. I'd certainly like to learn proper igloo construction, but it doesn't sound like something I'd like to do for fun.