Still able to go fishing where you live?

Joe S.

Are you still able to go fishing where you live? There is actually some very good fishing at this time of year where I live in Idaho. Steelhead trout fishing is the best at this time of year.

wvbreamfisherman

No closed season for any species in WV, so we CAN fish anytime. That said, the fishing slows down when the water gets colder. You can generally do Ok for trout and walleye/sauger in the winter, but lots of other species don't bite nearly as well.

I have to admit that snow, ice and icy-cold water dampen my enthusiasm considerably.

OldSole

I don't usually even try at this time of the year. It's not worth it because most fish don't bite. I usually just tough it out in the winter and pray for the spring thaw.

WillaMarie

Well we are in Florida so there is no 'closed' season. Some certain fish you can't catch during different times of the year, but there are a lot of others you can catch all year long. (this is saltwater fishing)

jason

fear no beer
Same as WillaMarie. I'm thinking of trying to get out in the kayak next week on to the flats. I normally stick to freshwater once it gets cool, but I just have an itch to get the kayak out. Even if it is just to paddle around.

Pathfinder1

I usually don't trek very far,
when all around me fishers are.

Hi...

Here in New York State we have a fisher's paradise. For fresh water, there are myriad game fish: Brook, Rainbow and Brown trout (and I probably left one or two out!); several kinds of bass; pickerel; pike; muskelunge; sturgeon (don't know if they can be taken, though); eels; panfish; and the list goes on.

We do have fishing seasons, minimum sizes you can take, and amounts you can take. Not a big deal though.

Lakes big and small, world famous trout streams, and many rivers to fish.

Robin, did you put the pin back in that hand grenade? Yeow...Ow! Ow! Ow! Nurse...!!

Doolittle Dan

In Minnesota and Wisconsin if it's open water you fish if it's solid water you still fish. The season on panfish and rough fish is always open but the season usually closes in March and reopens in May. You still need to check regulations though.

Fox38

You can fish year round here... Ice fishing in the winter or just regular fishing in all other seasons. It gets a bit chilly out there though! We have had frost all week every morning.

T

tentrus

It's still a great time to fish here in the NorthEast. It's getting a bit cooler at night but the fish are still biting. It's actually been rainy here lately and for some reason, fish like to bite in the rain!

dinosaur

troublemaker
There's no closed season on my ponds. I would never allow it. Caught a small bass and a 3 and 1/2 pound carp yesterday just playing around before my five mile hike. Lots of fun.

ppine

Forester
I like to fish for trout, kokanee, and salmon. These are cold water fish. Fishing is good all year somewhere in the West. Summer is the toughest season because the water get too warm for trout and they go deep.

For those of you that like warm water fisheries like bass and catfish, the summer is your best time.

Our local lake opens for trout on Jan 1. It is a tradition for many to go fishing on New Year's Day. Sometimes we build a fire when fishing from shore.

Last edited:

jason

fear no beer
I just read an article saying that the reds and snook are hitting hard about two-three hours south of here. Makes me think about trying to get out this week, although it is in the 70's and sitting in a kayak will be cold.