Swimming in quarries?

WildRover

I remember as a kid I used to love to dive into the abandoned quarries around me. looking back at it I can't believe how stupid I was. I can only imagine what dangers may have been hiding under that water. Toxic waste? Instruments of impalement? Abandoned heavy equipment? What was I thinking?

outwest

I started thinking about that after I hit the age of 30 too, been there done that, have the pictures to prove it. For me the worst part is knowing that a friend of mine a few years younger than me, did the same thing at the same place and broke his leg. That could have totally been me.

Grandpa

We swam in the reservoirs all summer and plenty of dangers there too if not careful, but I think a quarry would be stagnant water.

Little Kitty

I do not believe, I have ever swam in a quarry. To tell you the truth, I am not even sure what a quarry is. Sometimes, I think back to things I did when I was younger. I am amazed I never hurt myself!

Geezer

I loved swimming in the quarries when I was a kid. The water was cold and there were so many cliffs to jump from. I'm pretty sure that they must have been spring-fed because the water was like ice even in August.

ppine

Forester
We swam in a quarry as kids. The water was clear so we could tell we had plenty of depth. The other dangerous part is diving from high spots on the highwall. My brother dove once from about 30 feet, hit just a little off and broke his shoulder and dislocated it. It took 2 years with a steel plate to heal. Another kid I played high school basketball with as a sophmore. When he came back to be a junior he was in a wheel chair from a dive in shallow water.

MountainMan22

I think there are many things we did as kids that we would know not to do now. I'm certainly not as brave as when I had no fear of anything. I use to roll down the stairs for fun as a kid. Now, I wouldn't do that because I'd break something and also it just wouldn't be fun anymore. Why couldn't they have internet when I was a kid so I didn't do all the dumb things I did.

georgia_outdoors

I can remember my dad telling me a story about diving into a quarry hole. At the time, he didn't think anything of it, as he was probably about 10 or so, but I remember him telling me that the water wasn't clear and that when he looked back on it, he felt like he was lucky he didn't break his neck.

Roy

We all swam in the old granite quarries when we were kids. The water seemed pretty fresh and felt like it must have been spring fed. The water was crystal clear and we always physically checked the depth before jumping in. Over the years a few kids have died up there... none were sober. Alcohol and swimming don't mix, quarry or not.

oldsarge

I always had the heebie jeebies jumping into dark or unfamiliar waters. For those of you's who do it on a regular basis, my hats off to you!

lefties

done it many times,,alot of them are very clean,but many are dangerous,,especially if Diving,,submerged rocks etc. A friend almost died doing it.

ppine

Forester
Mountain man,
The stuff we did as kids is what makes us the people we are today. I wouldn't trade all the wacky things we did for all the video games and devices that exist.

We thought for ourselves, solved our conflicts, and saved our friends when they screwed up. That is how you get ready to go out in the world.

Bumpkin

This reminds me of high school when we used to swim in a quarry. It was clear, clean water and we always had a good time. Years later when I moved to Florida, there was a quarry nearby and someone dared me to jump in. Not in a million years would I have gone into that water! It was dark and I'd heard reports of odd things surfacing there from time to time, like major appliances and bodies!