Techie camp gear

DThewanderer

Does anyone have any high tech camping gear that they use? I have seen all kinds of nifty, lights, radios and even a solar powered marshmallow roaster (it roated for an even cook). What have you seen or used?

Benny

A solar powered marshmallow roaster? That just takes the fun out of it! I could see having something like that at home, maybe, when I can't sit at a campfire, but I wouldn't take one camping with me.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Right, Benny. And if you are backpack camping, it's just extra weight. Cut a green stick and you can discard it after use.

Ilovelife

The only real techie thing I have is my GPS. Of course I don't really use it when I am out that much, but it has helped me to find some of the out of the way places I wanted to go.

Bob

Hey I've had a solar powered marshmallow roaster for awhile now! Don't knock it until you've tried it! These marshmallows are to DIE for!

Refrigerator

Sarah

I like to take my e-reader camping, but that is really the only techie thing. Since I like to read, it is so good to be able to take a library with me when I go camping and not have to worry about space!

DThewanderer

Man, I would love to have one of those. Having delicious pizza and cupcakes while camping would be awesome! Sarah, I don't have an e-reader yet but I have been wanting one. Do you have one that you recommend?

ChadTower

Take a Heineken mini keg, pry off the top with a can opener. Add a wooden knob to the lid with a handle. Put a tin can with holes underneath and a heating source and you've got a super cheap and light camp stove. It doesn't fold up but it's great for car camping and costs nearly nothing.