Tent for Backpacking

Mysty1

What is the best type of tent for backpacking? We'll going over a weekend so it would have to be light but it also has to be sturdy as there's always a chance of some showers or wind. This is my first time so I want to be sure I'm prepared.

Refrigerator

How much do you want to spend? Will you use this tent often on Backpacking trips?
If you want a good tent buy a Name brand tent like Big Agnes, Mountain Hardware, North Face, Eureka. MSR and the list goes on.
Check out Campmor.com, MountainGear.com, Backcountry.com, REI.
Go down to the local outfitter store and talk to them. Weight has a factor in it as well.
Rain proof..... I own 4 different single wall tents and all will shed condensation inside. Every double wall tent I own has never had a problem with inside condensation.
I use Mountain Hardwear skyledge series tents as well as Hilleberg and North Face. Sierra Designs has some excellent tents too.
Go over the Backpacker.com web site magazine and surf for GEAR and tents...they have good information there.

I use the wisdom that if a seam rips in the wilderness, that could spell disaster so I buy only quality tents with quality stitching and fabrics.
I trust my tents to weather anything below a hurricane.

Michael

I have this tent:

Coleman - Kraz X Tent -

It packs up pretty small and weighs 3 pounds. I've taken it out in light rain and when there was a good breeze and not had any problem. I haven't tested it in torrential rain or high winds, so I'm not sure how it performs in really harsh conditions.

But so far, there's been no problem. It's also pretty affordable.

Look around and read reviews. I'm sure you'll find a tent that's good for you. Just stay away from brands you've never heard of, since there's no telling how good of a tent they make.

jake_6_6

My advice would be, dont skimp on your tent if you're gonna be going more than a few times. The cheaper tents are very fragile and dont last.

IDIGbigfoot

I bought a Kelty Crestone 2 when I was camping in Montana.Have used it back home in Western Washington and it has held up in some good down down pours here,I like it.Good luck;}

tacomazach

I use a kelty stick1. It's a one man tent that is just under 2lbs. I've had it for about 3 years now. It has been through many rain storms and never even thought about leaking. I've tried to find another because I love it so much, but I can't seem to find another anywhere.