The Cajun Cane knife

Cappy

The other day as I wacked down all my frost bit banana palms I thought about all the knife post there are on here and several other outdoor/camping/fishing/gardening forums I visit. Just on a whim Peg was taking pictures of the chore and I told her to video a lil off the cuff performance. Here it is:
Cappy's Cajun Cane Knife - YouTube

dinosaur

troublemaker
That's a right cute knife you got there, Cappy. Up Nawth we call that a corn knife on account of we ain't got no cane.

Cappy

Yea and the funny thing is I aint neva used one in a cane field cept to get a couple stalks for chewing. They come in 2 styles short handled like that I use for every thing. They make a long handled heavy duty one for very heavy work, we called that one a briar hook.

dinosaur

troublemaker
They sell them at Tractor Supply, Farm and Fleet, and Rural King. Go get one. It's a dandy knife.

Cappy

I have an older rustier version in ma fishin' boat. I got the one in the video walkin' distance from home at the local feed and seed place for 10$

Theo

eyebp's mentor
I'd still prefer a sledge-a-matic. ;)

Seriously though, I've always been a fan of machete type knives for chopping.

Grandpa

Looks similar to our old beet knives except ours had a hook on the end. (Those were the days when they let school out, everyone worked in the beet fields all week harvesting beets before automated machinery) We walked along, picking up the beets, lopping off the tops and throwing them in the truck.

Cappy

That one has a hook on the back Grandpa. Unlike most folks I don't sharpen the hook and leave it blunt. I find its handy that way for catching nylon lines and bending reeds down to catch them, etc. I cary it when running traps and use the hook on the back to catch the trap line.

Woodland

Great knife Cappy! We could use one like that to get rid of vine bush in the back of the house. It overtook the back fence and just seems to grow all over. It would take forever to cut it with the clippers, that knife would be great to just chop it all down.

Cappy

Well if'n ya made of money and want a fancy one to put on the wall click sarge's link:tinysmile_tongue_t: If ya want a workin model click here:
Corona ® Cane Knife 14" Carbon Steel - GEMPLER'S

It's one of many places to get them for less than 10$ I got the one in the video a couple years from the local feed and seed that I often walk to in the morning to drink coffee with the other ole coots in town.

Newanderthal

the squared off end and brush hook on the reverse side makes it perfect for clearing a fence line. That hook is also great for removing brambles and pulling debris from areas where you can't quite see so you don't accidentally reach in front of a copperhead.

And those cane knives are cheaper than dirt. Usually $10 or less.