The most comfortable bike model

racoon

What is the most comfortable bike to buy for a leisurely ride? Total comfort is not just in the bike seat, is it? Would it not depend on the size and make, the handlebars, the pedals, etc? I may be wrong.

DMan

I guess a lot would depend upon where you were going to ride. I find mountain bikes to be comfortable. The tires are wider and with the suspension, they tend to have a slightly softer ride than some bikes. But regardless of what type you get, a gel seat can add a lot to your overall comfort.

wvbreamfisherman

Modern bike seats are just awful IMHO. I have a seat on my bike rescued from an ancient "coaster" bike that has springs and some actual padding on it. With that and a gel cover it's fairly comfortable.

Not exactly high performance...but neither am I!

Mudder

Comfort is in the eye of the beholder. Comfort depends on the hills you climb and the kind of roads you traverse. Chromoly steel bikes are still made for a reason... they're not as stiff as an aluminum or carbon fiber frame. If you're not hitting any singletrack trails at high speeds, you don't need full suspension for a "leisurely" ride. Modern bikes have come a loonngg ways and there's sooo many options out there for frame geometry and handlebars and seats and etcetera. My best bet for you, since you seem kind of unknown to the cycling world, is to speak to a bike shop about how you want to ride, but don't let them try to sell you. Another way is to Google. I'm a newbie here on this forum, so I can't post links yet, but BikesDirect and PerformanceBike and BikeNashbar are awesome catalogs to window shop through. Handlebars and handlebar extensions and seats and padded shorts and shoes/pedals make the bike more than anything else. There's a thousand different variables that can make a bike "comfortable." Look at BikesDirect first and foremost if you have a budget... awesome deals there. You can also look at bikes at all those online catalogs and get an idea of what style that you want. Look at all the handlebars and seats and shorts and shoes/pedals too. You may want a new handlebar, and don't let front suspension sell you either if need be.

Comfort has many variables to each specific rider. I hope I helped, and sorry for the late response.

jason

fear no beer
Like it has been said, it is really up to the person. I love my Cannondale mountain bike. Best bike I own. But anything over an hour with children in tow and my shoulders are killing me. So I got another bike, a multi-use one from Specialized. I can ride that thing, and be nice and comfortable. While I cannot go off-road on it, it is great for pulling the kids around, or just taking a long ride down the paved bike trails.

Since someone said something about bike seats, and I know some will laugh, I bought something like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AO7MKM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=connorswebguidec&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000AO7MKM The seat has been very comfortable for me to ride with.

Mudder

Yep, recumbent bikes are another choice. Although I think the desk chairs aren't included haha. I've never ridden one, but I've had many people tell me about them... they're comfy, but slow, and you can't get much leverage for hills. All just depends on your terrain for what bike you want. Wheel size is another variable... larger diameter wheels are more forgiving over bumps. Wow, I could go on and on. And do you want more than one "gear"? Fixed gear beach cruisers are an option for "leisure" but so are multiple speed hybrid and touring bikes. I have a couple nice bikes, but they're made for speed. One for road, and one for trails. But if I was to go a distance, I'll totally build up my 3rd bike... my old chromoly steel KHS road bike and put some wider tires on it and a riser straight bar and some bar ends, and a wider seat, but that bike also wouldn't be considered leisure. My first idea of a leisure comfortable bike would be a "hybrid" with straight riser bars and 700c or 27" wheels and a multi-speed drivetrain. A "beach cruiser" is usually heavy, and usually only single speed, and weird for leverage up hills, but you can always test drive bikes at a bike shop for free, and see what you like, and then think about what you'd like to add (different handlebars, seat, etc). Most every style of bike has a different geometry (time trial road bike are steep and "forward" compared to a laid back beach cruiser). Just try some different bikes out at a larger bike shop and see what you like. Another thing... stay away from department store bikes... they may have some low-end quality components on the exterior, but the interior (head tube, bottom bracket, hubs, rims) usually have very generic internals... and the frames are HEAVY and low quality welds. Sorry for the information overload... hope this all helps though :)