Traditional Tent or Easy-up Tent?

FireBuilder

Do you prefer the traditional tent with poles and pegs, or these new-fangled easy-up tents with the fiberglass poles?

The kids can put up the new ones by themselves, but they sometimes get over-bendy with the poles and break them.

I prefer my good-old pole tent, but the kids end tripping over the strings and tent pegs.

What does everyone else prefer?

GPER

I have never tried one but I have looked at some. I like the quick set up, but they look like they could be bulkier than a standard tent. I think you still stake the pop up tents down so that might not solve the tent stake problem.

woodsman

I think most of us prefer what ever we have. My tent is about 10 years old and it has fiber glass rods but I still have pegs to fix it to the ground, plus it keeps the water out and everything else, so I'm pretty happy with it.

Paige

I enjoy my easy up tent. It's quick to set up but it does still have the hold down pegs. I can set up very quickly and get down to enjoying myself when I get to the camp site.

Bobby

Some of the traditional tents use cords to hold the poles vertical. They can stick out several feet from the tent. Not just at the corners like tent pegs. I can see tripping over those.

puddle jumper

The easier the set up the better for our family. Really, we just want to get there and start enjoying ourselves. We're still pretty new to camping, so most of our gear is new as well.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
I like an easy set up too. I have a couple tents. The big First-Up is for Jeep camping and a small fiberglass pole tent for backpacking. There's a few others scattered around here too that I don't really use much. I lend them to friends who don't have a tent if they want to camp with us. I haven't used a canvas pole tent in many years!

I have a few other friends that have them for hunting and winter camping though. They use wood burning stoves inside the tent and they are around 20x12 in size. Pretty expensive too.

Poppi

We are still using our old Canvas tent that we bought more than 30 years ago.
We do have a newer tent also, but we do prefer the pole tent.
The only thing wrong with the "Oldie but Goodie" is just this year one of the back window zippers came off the teeth and we couldn't for anything get it back on. I just stitched it up and only open one side of it. It's fine because there are still 2 side windows and the door screen.

Ms. Nibbles

I like the easy up tents because they can be put up so quickly. I don't like the poles as they have a tendency to break too easily. If they break on a trip it's a real hassle.