Treating Blisters?

Johnny

What do you use for already formed blisters? Some suggest moleskin but usage really depends whether blister is already formed or not. What do you do?

Gondor

I usually use moleskin or if a blister is already formed I would add gauze or cotton pad beneath it after I clean the blister with alcohol.

Jobiwan

Prevention is probably the best way to avoid treatment. Good socks & shoes shouldn't give you a blister although it may happen from time to time. Treating a "hot spot" before the blister forms is recommended. This can be done with moleskin, blister kits and even duct tape. The last blister I got was on my hand from using a staff instead of trekking poles.

Attachments

Grandpa

I prefer to clean area with alcohol swap and cover with fabric athletic tape. Some use duct tape but I find it hard to keep wrinkles out of the duct tape and the wrinkles just aggravate the area. I also have found that the thicker moleskin puts more pressure from a previously well fitting shoe/boot.

I also teach the kids to stop as soon as they feel a "hot" spot developing. The stop time to head a blister off before it occurs is much less than the time spent tending it after.

Michael

Whenever I feel the sort of rubbing that I know will form a blister, I stop and prevent it before it starts. I either do moleskin, or I put on a bandage with duct tape over it.

Further prevention in the form of properly fitting shoes and good socks is also wonderful.

carmen

Always went the gauze & cotton route. What is moleskin? So far we have been lucky this year and yet to get one but with all the yard work we still have left I doubt our luck will last the entire summer.

SweetSassyLady

I would prefer to prevent one. But if it happens, I will usually clean it well, pierce it on the outside ring of the blister to evacuate the fluid and leave the skin intact. Then I place a bandage of some sort, depending upon how big and where the blister is, and try to protect it as much as possible.

Michael

What is moleskin?
It's an adhesive pad made from a tough but soft material. You stick it to spots on your foot that are being rubbed, and it acts as a secondary, extra tough layer of skin to prevent a little rubbing from turning into blisters. It comes in pads and rolls, and you can cut it to fit the size of the tender spot.

steves

A good sport tape as soon as I feel the hot spot,then keep on cruising has kept me from a blister for many years. I do wear good socks and boots but every so often the need arises so I always keep a roll in all my packs.

limbs

On the show Third Rock From The Sun, the character Marry put aloe on the character Sally's blister. Now, I know you can't believe everything you see on T.V., but would that really help?

Ranger

I used to always get them when I was younger and had a new pair of shoes. They are nasty, I know. I just used plasters to prevent them from getting hurt even more. But thanks for asking, I've got ideas how to deal with them.

Ilovelife

I can really appreciate this thread! Something I learned is that the right pair of socks and shoes go a long way. No more buying the Wal-Mart special shoes for hiking!

Tubby

You really need to prevent rather than treat. Wear gloves if you are doing something unfamiliar and place tape on any area that feels like it's taking too much stress. If you get new equipment or shoes, take time to break them in. It pays to prevent to avoid infections.

BUUZBEE

Tent Camper :)
last sept i walked 39.3 miles for the avon breast cancer walk, and after day 1 of 26 miles, my feet had a couple of big blisters. I had put on the "precut" moleskin pads at about mile 16, but clearly didn't fit them right. When i went to the first aid tent, they popped them with some kind of blister needle (i've never seen one before) cleaned it and wrapped each foot all around between the toes & arch. They said the key with blisters is only popping them when they are "full"... otherwise they hurt a lot more. I was able to do the next days 13 miles with little foot issues. This year i will buy the rolls of moleskin & cut it myself rather than using the precut pads!

Lamebeaver

Duct tape. Seriously. I always wrap a few inches around one of my trekking poles. Get a hot spot on your foot, stick on some duct tape next time and see how it works.

Kenser321

I would prefer to prevent one. But if it happens, I will usually clean it well, pierce it on the outside ring of the blister to evacuate the fluid and leave the skin intact. Then I place a bandage of some sort, depending upon how big and where the blister is, and try to protect it as much as possible.
Thats what I do also. I heat up a needle and pierce it. Push the fluid out. Than I cover it witha thich layer of gauze and sport tape the crap out of it so it wont fall off.

wvbreamfisherman

I can't see where aloe would help. If its a hot spot, the only way to avoid a blister there is to pad it and/or back off the activity that's putting pressure on it. The moleskin and fabric sports tape are great at that.

Once the blister's formed, I generally pierce it at the edge to let it drain and cover it with a bandage to try to keep the skin from peeling off before its healed underneath.

If the skin peels off, use an antibiotic like bacitracin or neosporin and keep it covered with a non-stick (telfa) pad to keep it from getting infected.

An infected blister (or other foot wound) can lead to serious complications, especially in diabetics or people with compromised circulation in their feet, so take any infection very seriously.

One thing more- lots of people (especially diabetics) don't have a lot of sensation in their feet. if thats' the case, then you need to pay very close attention to preventing blisters. Stop periodically and check for hot spots and treat them immediately. Change socks often and keep your feet as clean as possible.

oldsarge

Duct tape. Seriously. I always wrap a few inches around one of my trekking poles. Get a hot spot on your foot, stick on some duct tape next time and see how it works.
I agree! And if you have a blister already formed, use it anyway, when you go to take the tape off...poof, Off comes the blister too. How do you treat a blister? With no respect!!!!!