What are backpacking must haves?

OutdoorsGirl

What are some things you must have in your backpack? I always have a small first aid kit, toilet paper and a multi tool, I also carry extra socks and some snacks.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
Depending on where you are going, a map and compass should be carried, and in addition to the items you mentioned, I always carry my survival kit, a small fire kit, stainless steel water container, and a good knife. I have a multi-tool, but I would not rely on it alone to save my bacon as the blade is nowhere near sturdy enough to handle heavy processing as one would need to do if lost or in need of emergency shelter.

Oh, and my packs all have a Fox 40 whistle attached to the shoulder straps.

It really does depend on the hike though, but even an easy day hike, I carry at least the gear mentioned. You never know.

canyontony

Either a day hike or long expedition I always carry a lighter, firestarter, emergency blanket, emergency poncho, Mountain money (toilet paper), small shovel, water, water purifier, salty and/or high energy food, ducttape, whistle, compass, camara, knife, flashlight, piece of twine or rope, first aid kit with asprin and Benidril, and a small flask of Crown Royal. It's amazing that all this can fit into a small backpack or water bladder pouch, but when you need any or it you will always be happy.

Michael

For short trips, I carry my basic kit. It includes:

a first aid kit (to which I added two pairs of nitrile gloves)
LED flashlight (runs on one AA)
two extra AA batteries
Victorinox Fieldmaster
compass
toothbrush and toothpaste (you never know...)
strike anywhere matches, wrapped in plastic and an elastic band
bug spray
hand sanitizer (non-alcohol based)
sun screen
whet stone
emergency rain poncho
emergency blanket
water purification chemicals (chlorine dioxide and phosphoric acid activator)
about 20 feet of paracord
water and Cliff Bars plus whatever fruit is at hand
emergency whistle
some duct tape

Camoguy

Food, water and some way to make a shelter. Knife, Axe, on and on until I have the pack full. I also don't consider it full until I have a book in it. I don't care if it's a paperback, a Kindle or something else. Doesn't matter to me as long as it's a story.

sh4d0wm4573ri7

Once you have the basics covered : shelter, food, water, fire I believe it becomes a personal thing . And the more we go the more we learn the less we carry. Knowledge weighs nothing
We all can pack for the same trip and we all will be different as to what we consider necessary. My pack loaded for a 3-4 day trip food included weighs 20 lbs I can stretch it to 7 days if need be. Cover the basics and go from there as to what you really need you will constantly learn and change those things is part of the fun of it all .

Pril

As much as i can carry, got to have a lot of things, but basic stuff, i guess food, water filter, a pot or something to boil water in, fire magnisium stick or lighter, first aid always, and a tent... oh and the camera w/monopod ! can't forget the camera! it has lots of useful features if your stuck! tho i would hate to break it but i would if i had to save my life!

Philly

It depends on where I would be going. I bring very few things when I will be backpacking in a place where I know I can buy things. But for mountain hikes that will take a few days then I would taking as much things as I can carry.

TahoeTrailQueen

Along with all the aforementioned items, I always carry my SPOT LOCATOR. If you don't know what that is, it's a small device that in an emergency you press the button and rescue teams and equipment are sent to save you by using you're satalite location. And I never leave without giving my entire itinerary to two people. And depending where I am, I always carry my BEAR Pepper Spray.

Flatlander

Backpacker magazine has a page of items that every hiker should have with them every time they walk away from the trailhead. Mostly I think about the things I'll need if something happens and I'm alone, spending the night in the woods. The rest of what I carry is for the enjoyment of the hike. I seldom start down a trail without a ziploc and a lighter.

donbar

Emergency strobe light, emergency mirror, survival knife, emergency blanket, poncho, waterproof matches, GPS, maps, survival manual! Basically, you should bring basics for survival and realize that in a worst case scenario you might need something you would never even have thought about (snake bite kit, bear spray, salt packets, etc.). If you slip and fall down a ravine or get stung by a wasp do you have the equipment to help you make it back to safety? If it becomes too much then take a hiking buddy and split up the equipment.