What are your favorite lightweight backpacking foods?

Navigator

I like making my own dried/freeze dried meals it saves a LOT of money and gives me the freedom to make it just as I like. I usually start with a normal recipe that I enjoy at home and then try to recreate it using foods I dry in my dehydrator (a great investment for any backpacker) or bulk freeze dried I buy (more expensive).

A couple resources I'd suggest are packitgourmet.com and fantasticfoods.com

A couple of book suggestions:
Lipsmackin' Backpackin': Lightweight Trail-Tested Recipes for Backcountry Trips By Tim Conners, Christine Conners (They also have a Vegetarian edition of this ;-)

Simple Foods For The Pack By Claudia Axcell (a classic, IMHO)

Happy Trails!

Starling

I make my own jerky and bring that along whether I'm hiking or camping somewhere. It's really easy to make if you have a good steamer, and it tastes really good. It's also almost free depending on how much the meat is and how much you make.

I also take a couple energy bars and some light, sugar-free wafers if I want something besides meat.

hikingshoes

I enjoy MH meals.There alittle high for a price goes,but for your trip,id pay the price.I like peanut butter/honey for a snack,and a good cup of coffee with oatmeal for B-fast.Also for B-fast i enjoy Nido powder milk,with carnation instant breakfast(in the packs).and tang Drink mix,just to chg things up.Good food,good friends,good hike you cant go wrong!!HS