What do you eat every trip?

3ofusnow

Even growing up we had at least one or two meals that we had every single time that we went camping. Now that I am the one doing the cooking we always have beef stew in the dutch oven one night, and we always roast hot dogs and make smore's on the fire one night. What foods do you eat on every camping trip?

Grandpa

Lots of beef, chicken, and pork cooked with either rice, beans or potatoes. No dutch oven meal is complete without lots of onions, carrots, peppers, mushrooms and if I'm not looking, they sneak in the yucky stuff like broccoli and other junk.:tinysmile_tongue_t:

I love it when my daughters come along because those girls can sure come up with some good eating. The older grandaughters are getting pretty handy with the DO's too. Did I mention I'm trying to lose some weight?:tinysmile_hmm_t:

ghostrider

Fish, because it's a rare thing that we don't go camping where there's some good fishing nearby. When we fish, we cook what we catch. If we have a lousy day fishing or want a break, then it's usually steaks, hotdogs or sandwiches.

Gondor

When there is a bunch of people involved there is barbecue, which is always a win. But what I usually carry are already prepared chicken sandwiches.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Bluegill Omelet.

It's not a true omelet, more of a scramble. Get up in the morning and go down to the edge of the water. Catch a half dozen bluegill and filet them. While frying them in a little olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper; chop up a tomato, green pepper, and onion. Also slice some Swiss, Provolone, or mild Cheddar. When the fish is cooked, chop it up and set aside. Cook the eggs with the aforementioned vegetables (yeah, I know tomatoes and onions aren't technically vegetables.) Scramble together keeping the eggs fluffy. Do not overcook. Toss in the bluegill and blend. Take off the heat and drop the cheese in. Fold several times to melt the cheese. Serve.

ppine

Forester
We are going hunting on Tues for a week to 10 days. On the menu is halibut caught in Alaska, steaks, and lots of garden vegetables. This has been a great year for fruit also in Nevada. We have not had a freeze yet at 5000 feet.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Since I have to carry it all miles into the woods, If it cant be boiled in water or heated in a mug, or eaten cold, I don't take it. No Dutch ovens here. I do like my bagels...I toast them over the stove and put honey on them from little restaurant packets.

Mudslide

Always have hot dogs on the first night. Not real crazy about 'em, but its the easiest thing when you've got to do the set up thing and you're tired. Backpacking always includes Ramen as a base meal with whatever I throw in.

hummingbird

We always have hamburgers and hot dogs at least one night of the camp. We also have to bring the marshmallows (the giant ones now) to roast along with potatoes to roast in the fire. I've been trying to keep it healthy but as you can see, it's not happening. :O

Marshmallow

We always have hot dogs with homemade chili. We almost always have kids, and they like cooking them over the campfire. It's a tradition, followed by roasted marshmallows.