What do you think about dog hunting?

greengrass

My husband is a hunter but does not dog hunt. He does not like hunting with dogs as he thinks it's unfair to the animals being hunted. What are your feelings about dog hunting?

Bushman

Well personally I think that in terms of survival, all is fair.

I do not want to come off a judgmental but it sounds like your husband hunts for sport and not actually for the meat of the animal(s) he is hunting. Now I think it is wrong to hunt animals just for the sake of hunting animals (for sport).

Of course I could be completely wrong about your husband and he may just have a higher sense of honor. Again I don't see anything wrong with dog hunting, but that has to do more with personal preference.

Some people think it is wrong to hunt with rifles and chose to hunt with a bow and arrow. Again personal preference.

greengrass

Actually he does hunt for the meat. We have a freezer full of deer and duck to prove it. But I understand what you mean.

What I hate is that too many hunters do not take care of their dogs properly? And the pens are nasty and the dogs are skinny. It can be really bad.

firefly

I used to know a guy that used dogs to hunt wild boar. He kept the dogs in a pen. They looked pretty healthy but they were mean too. I like to have dogs as pets. I don`t hunt so I know nothing about it. I also don`t think I could ever kill an animal for food unless I really had to.

kernow

My husband is a hunter but does not dog hunt. He does not like hunting with dogs as he thinks it's unfair to the animals being hunted. What are your feelings about dog hunting?
It is against the law in England (with some minor exemptions) so I think it is a bad thing to do.

Bushman

Actually he does hunt for the meat. We have a freezer full of deer and duck to prove it. But I understand what you mean.

What I hate is that too many hunters do not take care of their dogs properly? And the pens are nasty and the dogs are skinny. It can be really bad.
Now that I really have a problem with! I do not like people that abuse and mistreat animals. I understand why people have hunting dogs in cages but I do not like when the owners starve the dogs in order to make them mean or if they do not keep the cages clean or even if the cages are really small.

Taggart

I guess in some cases the dogs may be used just to retrieve the fowl after its shot, right?

I'm also very much against the mistreatment of animals.

justontime

Where I come from hunting with dogs is against the law, I think that it is cruel and if animals need to be culled there are better ways to do it. Killing should not be a sport.

Penny

The poor animal would be scared to death with a big dog running after it. I don't like the though of it one bit and all those dogs barking would drive me nuts!

Abbey

It has been mentioned a couple of times that people who use their dogs for hunting purposes don't take care of them well, generally speaking. Why is this? Of course, it is a generalization. I have known a couple of people who do not fall into this category, but many that I have come across do. It would seem to me that someone who hunts with a dog would want a stronger bond and would take better care of the animal.

Wild Bill

I use bird dogs all the time. They go out and find the bird after I shoot it out of the sky. Of course you could go look for the bird yourself, but have you every tried to find a duck that landed in a grassy field by yourself. The dog just finds it quicker for you because he can smell where it is.

As for care, my wife treats those dogs better than me. She gives them the first cuts off of the birds after she finishes cooking. They just wait in the kitchen until she finishes. She won't even let me get a beer out of the refrigerator when she's cooking.

Below The Radar

Sometime dogs can be a pain in the a$%. They chase deer after they have passed the lines. And you have to pick-up dog poo 50 weeks/yr just to use them for 2 weeks a year. We do the doggin' on my crew. You would be surprised how often one of the "dogs" shoot deer. Probably 50/50 for the Watchers vs The Doggers.

enzo

I am also against animal cruelty especially when it comes to dogs. I'd rather hunt with my buddies than hunt with my dog to keep him safe at home.