What Is Your Longest Day Hike?

DahrkDaiz

I'm crazy about day hiking every since I started 2 years ago. My first hike was Rainbow Falls up to Mt. LeConte in the Smokies. Since then I've usually done hikes of no more than 13 miles in one day. This year I was able to tackle a 26 mile hike going up to Thunderhead and Rocky Top Mountains making a complete loop. It took 12.5 hours but it was really fun and worth it. Next year I would like to shoot for a 35 mile hike in one single day. What's the longest hike you've done in one day?

Michael

My longest was 18 miles in the highlands of Scotland. It was a very cool experience.

Philly

My longest hike was 50 miles. It took me 20 hours to hike. Our group of about 20 people started hiking at around 8PM and reach our destination at 4PM the next day. We camped in that place for the weekend and then hiked back home on the same trail but in a shorter period of time, about 16 hours.

coaster

Longest day hike for me was around 22-23 miles in San Pedro Valley Park (Pacifica CA, near San Francisco). I did all the trails in the park, and doubled up on a few of them. Great, great day.

hikingshoes

My longest day hike for me was 12miles on the palmetto trail in SC.After,I retired from the Army Res. in 07, i didnt do a thing for as working out.im5'11'' and got up to 250lbs,my trig.was 500,so i started out riding a bike,and started back backpacking.I couldnt even to a 1/2mile,but i didnt stop,im up to 12miles a day and my trig.down to 74.with in one yr.and my weight is 218lbs now.So got out there and take your time and hang in there.HS

Last edited:

Thelosthiker

My longest hike was 4 miles... hahah. One day i'll be able to hike 10 or more miles for the joy and beauty of nature once i get older :) I'm SOOOOO CRAZY about the outdoors, I really can't get enough of it. And it sucks that I haven't hiked in 4 months because of school and work.

Flatlander

My longest day was probably around 16 miles. That's not bad, except the trail was 12 miles long... I started the day with a friend and 2 dogs, and ended up at the truck with one friend and one dog. Somewhere along the way Pavlov had taken a turn that we did not, and I was short a dog. I hiked back up TWO steep hills in an effort to find him, only to realize that my legs were jelly and couldn't go on. Ultimately he made his way back to the truck on his own shortly before dark, and our leaving without him.