What to do about thunderstorms?

enzo

When we tent camp, we encountered a couple of thunderstorms and it was a really scary experience. The next time we encounter it, what do we need to do? Put tent away from the trees? Hide in the tent? Or just get in the car?

Illeism

I've been told to find something sturdy to get beneath. If it isn't storming with tornado threats then the car would be okay I think.

HikerChick

I would say play it safe if the storm seems serious and get in the car. If you see it coming, and it doesn't seem too threatening, moving the tent away from the trees might be ok, but if the tent has metal poles planted into the ground...just get in the car.

Lovefall

I would say get in the car too! I wouldn't stay in a tent in a thunderstorm - no way! You would be safe in the vehicle. I wouldn't go near any trees.

frank6160

Isn't getting away from trees kind of hard? Generally camping is done in the woods. You always want to look up before setting up your tent just in case there is a dead limb waiting to be blown down.

Outdooruser

I have camped through a couple thunderstorms. We just stay right in the tent. If it became really bad, I would just put the family in the car.

OpenAir

Yeah I agree-we don't run from it. We are surrounded by trees-it is they that are likely to get hit, not the tiny little tent that is close to the ground.

SQuirrel

The only thing I might caution about being in a tent is stay away from the poles. As long as you arent touching the sides of the tent I don't imagine a lightning strike on the poles would be fatal. Scarry as all hell though. As long as there is a better path to ground like tall trees around I wouldn't trip. Now if you happen to be on a barren mountain top, then get the heck outa there.

jesse

If the lightning gets close head to the car! don't risk it, it's not worth it!

MikeGibzen

Wind and lightning are the critical factors. Get in the car if you encounter them. A properly-treated rainfly can take a good soaker so a little rain won't be a problem if your tent has one. Of course, you must treat the rainfly yourself with a spray-on waterproofing agent.
You should never pitch your tent under trees with questionable branches. It doesn't take a thunderstorm to dislodge one of these killers.

grand

Better stay inside the tent if there is no imminent danger of a falling branch. It might be more dangerous to move from the tent to the car.

Flannelshirt

I've been through a couple of lightening storms and just stayed in the tent. Trees were big enough that if they fell on a car, it would be crushed so I figured, may as well stay put.