Wind energy

BigSky

I'm seriously considering a roof-top windmill. Does anyone know how I can do a wind analysis to see if having a windmill will actually pay off for me? I don't want to pay for a consultant and you guys seem to always know how to do things on the cheap. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

DThewanderer

I'm not really sure. We are going to buy a farm and plan to make some use of wind energy. I am very interested in how to make it a viable energy solution.

Hazel

My church recently sent a windmill to a campground in South America as a mission project. The camp is in the middle of the jungle and there is no other way for them to get electricity and they are quite pleased with results.

Roy

Big Sky, I know there are such things as wind maps. Maybe you can google around to see if your area has already been mapped.

ppine

Forester
Contact NOAA and the National Weather Service. They will have records of average daily wind speed and direction. Sites with high potential for wind power have relatively steady winds in the same wind speed range. Turbines have trouble accomodating highly variable wind speeds because they are desinged to be effecient within a relativel narrow range of wind speeds.