woman gets 20 years for firing a warning shot

Greatoutdoors

A Florida woman was sentenced to 20 years in prison after she fired a warning shot at her abusive husband. Here is the story I saw about it. The hubby always told me never to fire a warning shot...now I know why. I bet she would have gotten less time if she had killed him.

back2nature

I think 20 years is excessive but I think she deserved to be jailed, given the circumstances. She did leave and then come back with a gun, first of all, so she can't claim self-defense. Second, she fired with two children present.

Hikenhunter

I think 20 years is excessive but I think she deserved to be jailed, given the circumstances. She did leave and then come back with a gun, first of all, so she can't claim self-defense. Second, she fired with two children present.
I agree. If she left then came back she was not in danger at that time, but 20 years is a little bit too much for this.

CozInCowtown

I am going to have to defer to the judge and jurys decision as I do not have enough information.
I found this interesting, this tells me this is not her first firearms conviction.
ARTICLE said:
The 20-year sentence was a mandatory minimum under Florida's "10-20-Life law," which mandates sentences for crimes involving a firearm, the Grio.com reported.

IndianaHiker

Agree that she was in the wrong. If he had entered the garage and threatened them then I would see things differently. Not sure that this was really a warning shot or more of a shot fired out of anger. Not buying the garage door wouldn't open almost sounds like she was looking for a fight and an excuse to shot the guy.

Greatoutdoors

Guys she did not leave and come back. She went into the garage and tried to leave the house that way and could not get the door open. (At least according to the article I read) I don't think she should have fired in his direction while the kids were near him, but it still has self defense written all over it.

love2hike

After reading this, I have some mixed feelings. I don't really know if she was in any immediate danger or not. If she was able to leave the house, go to the garage, get the gun, and then come back into the house, I'm inclined to think she probably wasn't in any immediate danger. I think she should have left the house, went to the garage, got the gun, and called the law. Then, while she waited for the law to come arrest him, she would have had a means of self defense if he decided to attack her. Regardless, I think 20 years is too much. I think she should have taken the 3 year plea bargain they offered her to begin with!

jason

fear no beer
Guys she did not leave and come back. She went into the garage and tried to leave the house that way and could not get the door open. (At least according to the article I read) I don't think she should have fired in his direction while the kids were near him, but it still has self defense written all over it.
Depends on the source. I've seen a few that said she went back in for her keys.

A side note, not sure if your article mentions it or not, but the same person that prosecuted her is also prosecuting zimmerman.

jason

fear no beer
I am going to have to defer to the judge and jurys decision as I do not have enough information.
I found this interesting, this tells me this is not her first firearms conviction.
The 10-20-Life goes like:
10 for felony type offense that offender possesses a firearm.
20 if the if the above is true and firearm is discharged
Life if someone is injured or killed.

I saw somewhere, someone posted priors on her though, but they were not sure if it was the same, first and last named matched. I think there was domestic abuse, and something about kids, 3 offenses total. But that can neither be confirmed or denied.

CozInCowtown

Okay Jason, that is not what I understood.
I understoof first offence is 10 years, 20 for the second....

love2hike said:
....... I'm inclined to think she probably wasn't in any immediate danger. I think she should have left the house, went to the garage, got the gun, and called the law. Then, while she waited for the law to come arrest him, she would have had a means of self defense if he decided to attack her.........
I agree, this would have kept her out of trouble with the law.
Again, with the limited information I have I just hope the Judge and jury did the right thing.
Coz

ChadTower

I don't see anything that says she had to fire the shot. If you're pointing a gun at someone it's pretty rare that they try to punch you.

Greatoutdoors

How Jason described the 10-20 is how I undersood it too. The 20 years is not because it is her second offense, but because the firearm was discharged. The article I read was saying that one of the state representatives was contacting some lawyers for an appeal on her behalf.

southerngal

I have seen several stories about this and I wonder if any of them contain the "whole" story. I don't think she should have fired the gun either, but I think 20 years is a wee bit excessive since she didn't hurt anyone.