Worst camp meal ever

southerngal

We always talk about such delicious things to eat, but do you remember the worst camp meal you have ever had? Mine was a chicken stir fry deal that someone pretty much let char to a crisp.

mikepond

Anything that ends with char to a crisp is in bad shape. I remember once year someone thought it would be great to set popcorn one evening and for some reason it was left unattended, our entire site smelled of burning popcorn death for two days. We had few winds and it was just nasty between that and the plastic cup that also made its way into the fire pit.

Lorax

I had just arrived at the trail shelter along the Long Trail after the 5th day of constant light rain and a windy 40-50 degrees. It was the kind of rain that goes right through you no matter what you do. Everything and all of your gear is damp and cold and it sucks the ambition out of you.
Totally beaten,I did through my pack past the good food (I always eat good on the trail!)and grab my extra meal which consisted of a pack of ramen noodles.
You know the one.....costs about a dime and has the flavor packet that all taste the same.....yeah....salt!

At this point, I'm in no mood to fire up a stove in this soaked shelter and looking inside that damp backpack isn't helping boost my spirits either.

I grab a nalgene of water out of the pack, opeb the ramen pack, sprinkle about half of the packet on top of the noodles and *CRUNCH*, just eat the damned thing and wash it down with water.

twilight

Worst meal for me was an attempt at tuna casserole during a monsoon. We started outside and then after being flooded out ended up just eating the tuna with half cooked noodles. Yum, not ;)

JimBob

For me, it's got to be fish. While I love fishing, I don't like the taste or smell of it. Anytime I go camping, seems like someone has to eat it. Blah. Don't mean to offend you fish eaters out there, it's just not for me. :p With the foods I like, anything that accidently gets burned is a bummer for me. Hot dogs are one of my favorite campfire foods, but a charred one turns me right off.

ponderosa

Couscous......I was on a guided hike and that's was one of the meals,yuk.:tinysmile_hmm_t2:
Couscous salads, with lots of dried veggies, maybe some chicken or tuna, and a tangy dressing are a backpacking lunch staple for me. Add water in the morning, enjoy rehydrated yumminess by lunch time. To each his/her own, eh.

I have two worst meals. The first was Mountain House clam linguine. They don't make that one anymore. The smell alone would make you ill. Absolutely not edible. We had peanuts and candy that night. That meal turned me off on freeze dried backpacking food forever. I've very rarely used it since. The 2nd worst was a breakfast that my sister was in charge of on a backpacking trip. She was making pancakes, but forgot the oil to cook them in. Someone else had spam, so she sliced spam in the pan and poured pancake batter on top. She also didn't bring anything to make syrup, so it was dry spam pancakes. If you like spam, this might have been passable, but I hate spam.

calanta

There was one year when I was out in either AZ or NV to visit family. We decided to take a quick trip out for the weekend on the spur of the moment. Whoever packed the food brought along the nastiest can of beans possible. It was some horrible off name brand type that had to be sitting around for a decade or more. Still to this day, no one will fess up to it.

campclose

For me it was the salt potatoes that would NOT cook. We started them at around 5pm and I swear they were not done til midnight. We ended up eating them in the morning after we fried them.

steves

I'm usually so hungry by the time I get to camp that anything will go down,BUT I have to agree with Jim Bob on the fish, just the smell turns my stomach.I can't even go out to eat on most Fridays when they have fish Specials. As far as burnt goes that's another story they call me Mr. Charcoal I love well done,black and crispy !!