Would you let your daughter hunt?

ATVfan

My daughter has expressed interest in hunting with me and my dad. I'm not sure I want her to hunt. Would you let your daughter hunt? At what age would you let her start?

Bradsalex

IF I had a daughter I would surely let her hunt, encourage it even. Hunting isn't only about the man vs. animal hunt, it's also about weapons safety and handling. I think that you would be able to take your daughter hunting as soon as you feel comfortable with it. I know when I was young, I'd go out with my dad and carry my BB gun. I didn't need a license for that and I couldn't really do any harm other than rattle it around and scare off the game.

Now on to the safety aspect... I don't know how many times I went bird hunting with my father and ended up "under" his shotgun as he shot at a pheasant. It's very loud standing under a shotgun when it goes off. I learned quickly that I had a place when walking through the woods... and it wasn't in front of my father. My dad also had to become more aware of my position so as not to end up like Dick Cheney...

But all-in-all I believe that everyone should have training in weapons handling and safety. It was a part of school when I was in 8th grade. I am a very conservative supporter of gun laws and the Second Amendment. But that's going off topic, hope this helps your choice.

woodzman

I have to agree with Brad and within reason, I think responsibility has more to do with it than age. If you teach her how to safely handle a gun and take her out shooting when you can, you'll see it when she's ready. I'm envious ATV, the next future hunter here is my grandson and he's only six months old, so he's got a while to go yet.

HikerChick

I'm also backing up what has already been said; regardless of your daughter's age, her maturity level and ability to follow directions should really be what drives your decision. The fact that she's female shouldn't hold her back if it's something she wants to do, but if she isn't alert and attentive to safety, then that is a viable reason to wait.

Adventurelover

I don't hunt but my dad does and if my daughter expressed an interest in it then I would definitely let her. My dad is a responsible hunter and he is all about safety so I would have no qualms with him teaching her. As far as age goes she is 8 now and I think it is a bit young. I would probably let her when she was 12 or so.

HillbillyMama

I have been hunting since before I could remember even. Honestly, I think if you start your kids out like we have done while they are toddlers then it is okay no matter what age. I do not recommend taking a child who has never been around any guns or "scary woods" and let them go hunting right away. I would let her hunt for sure but you need to explain to her about the hunter's safety courses she will have to take and all. Then see what she has to say about it ;)

Camoguy

I agree totally. I think everyone needs to know how to hunt their own food. AND I think that everyone needs to know where that food comes from. Animal, vegetable and fruit needs to be explained to kids, even kids in the cities. I'm a big advocate of everyone being able to take care of themselves by the time they are 16.

jason

fear no beer
I just read an article on a father taking his 18 year old daughter bear hunting for 14 days in Alaska. I would have no problems with it, if she is old enough.

Flannelshirt

I'd have no problem taking my daughter hunting if she understood how to handle a weapon properly and the safety aspects that come with hunting. Probably no better time for some daddy-daughter bonding while you're at it.

southerngal

I would absolutely have no problem with my daughter going hunting and when she is older will probably encourage it. Especially the way things have been going it's important to know how to put food on the table.

enzo

If I have a daughter, I'd let her hunt if she shows deep interest in it. But she needs to be trained first to become a good hunter.

Bumpkin

My husband and I were just talking about gun safety last night. It's all about proper training and, yes, I would absolutely let my daughter hunt if she wanted to. I don't personally hunt nor does my husband (unless you count eliminating unwanted critters on our property :) ), but my sister-in-law does and I would let her go with her Auntie if she wanted to.

If not, at the very least, she will be raised with proper training and respect for guns.

Lightfoot

I let my daughter start hunting with us when she was 8, no big trips until she was 10. She loves going hunting with us and can keep up with the rest of us.

ATVfan

Wow, so everyone says yes! That is cool. My daughter is old enough to start learning. I think we will start by taking a gun safety class. I wonder if there is an age minimum for that. I'll have to look into it.

HillbillyMama

Wow, so everyone says yes! That is cool. My daughter is old enough to start learning. I think we will start by taking a gun safety class. I wonder if there is an age minimum for that. I'll have to look into it.
My son completed hunter safety courses and testing when he was 4. He passed with flying colors. I do not know of any state having age limitations so long as the child is mature enough to understand and pass the test.

WileECoyote

We have a concealed to carry law in our state. I let my daughter take it when she was 15 because I knew she would soon be driving places on her own. I'm so glad I did because now I don't worry as much about the nuts out there stopping her on the road. She knows how to shot that little gun I got her. I have no doubt she would defend herself if she had to.

frank6160

My daughter has been going with me since she was 3-4 years old. She's now 19 and doesn't have the interest she once did but I hope that will someday change. You know they get "other" interests when they get older. I wanted every minute I could with her.

2Live1Well

I grew up hunting, fishing, trapping and am very proud to have had the experience at an early age. The best memories I have are from my Dad & brother taking me along to do all these things and teaching me. I have a daughter and she was never interested, I really wish she had been so I could pass along the family ways.

flylady

My daughter is grown now but she started hunting with her father when she was about 8 years old. My husband taught her about her rifle, including how to clean and care for it. They went out together for target practice and then, when he felt she was ready they headed for the woods.

dhoyle

I also would have any problem with her going hunting and if she decides to take it up Dad had better watch out; she will more than likely prove to be better at than he is. The ladies ability to discern different shades of color allow them to see game better and they are usually better shots. I have trained two young ladies and the both put me to shame in the field.