Tomahawk - Forgotten Tool?

Barney

Does any of you use tomahawks instead of classical one hand camping axe when in the wilderness? I find tomahawks usually lighter than chopping axes and more versatile.

The Scout

Does any of you use tomahawks instead of classical one hand camping axe when in the wilderness? I find tomahawks usually lighter than chopping axes and more versatile.
Always, sometimes 2. Carry a pipe tomahawk and a camp-hawk, both hand forged.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
I have a custom made hammer axe and friend made for me that is similar to a tomahawk but a little smaller and more stout, It's a great tool. I have been looking at tomahawks lately and may pick one up.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
... I have been looking at tomahawks lately and may pick one up.
Ha ha, made an impulse purchase today of a Cold Steel Tomahawk from a local hunting store. I went in to look at a new quiver and ended up leaving with a Tomahawk instead. I was also drooling over a KaBar knife, but I managed to resist that one.

I like the Tomahawk a little better than my hammer-axe as it is balanced better, moves very well - very fluid with the 19" handle, and it's certainly lighter than the hammer-axe. I don't think it will chop as well, but we'll see how it does.

The hammer-axe cannot be thrown either, but the tomahawk can - not that I will ever need to, but I may learn how to throw it just for the cool factor.

southerngal

I would definitely learn how to throw it just because that would be awesome...and hey if you ever need to do it you know you can. Stranger things have happened! This is not something I had considered adding to our gear stash but I might just because of the weight factor...and it'd be cool to say you could throw a tomahawk.;)

northernbushape

The Jeepist
I put it through its paces today and it performed very well. My first impressions are very good and I love this thing! Definitely a permanent addition to my gear.

lol, I tried throwing it and failed miserably. Me thinks I'm doing something wrong :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

oldsarge

I would definitely learn how to throw it just because that would be awesome...and hey if you ever need to do it you know you can. Stranger things have happened! This is not something I had considered adding to our gear stash but I might just because of the weight factor...and it'd be cool to say you could throw a tomahawk.;)
I would never throw my only weapon!

FireBuilder

Call me ignorant, but what's the difference between a tomahawk and a hatchet? I've used the same hatchet since college and it has yet to let me down.

dinosaur

troublemaker
kukuri. chops better than a hatcet or tomahawk but can also be used for slicing and prying.
I own a kukri. It is a blade used by the gurkha warriors of Nepal. It was never allowed to be deployed without drawing blood, hence the peculiar shape near the hilt that allows one to prick your thumb before returning it to its' sheath. Its' odd shape allows for incredible head speed and its' weight and handle lets you apply great force to your target. The blade is very heavy but the cutting adge is narrowed to the point of being like a razor. Extremely effective. My compliments to a knife afficianado.

Chippin

I've never used a tomahawk before in my life, though they probably would be a lot better than wielding a heavier, modern version. Are they more expensive than hatchets in the store?

oldsarge

I'd like to learn the combative techniques with a Tomahawk or hatchet. Anyone know of any training videos or publications.

kodiak

I'm hoping my Becker BK2 will be a good alternative to carrying a chopping device. I figure anywhere I'd want to chop, I can probably chop or baton with a 1/4" thick knife pretty well.