Digging up your own bait.

Pebbles

My husband thinks it would be fun to take our son out and dig for worms for bait to take on our next camping trip. Does anyone actually spend the time to do this? Is it hard to keep them alive? (Can you tell I have no fishing experience whatsoever?:tinysmile_hmm_t:)

ramp

Yes, when I get time, I occasionally dig up my own bait. You will have no issue keeping the worms alive provided that you dig for them right before you go fishing.

Outdooruser

I haven't done this in years. I remember as a kid I would go out with my father and dig for night crawlers. We use to keep them in the refrigerator to keep them alive.

greengrass

We usually take the easy way out and buy them at a local store. There is a store on the way to where we typically fish and the worms are healthy and cheap. It's a lot easier!

boomerang

We use to keep them in the refrigerator to keep them alive.
Interesting. I have never tried the trick. Wouldn't the worms freeze if you put them in the refrigerator? I know some vegetable caterpillars which still be alive after put in the refrigerator for a few days.

Hilltopper

My husband buys his bait at a local shop and then keeps it in his "man fridge" out in the garage. One day my sister thought I told her to go in that fridge to get something and screamed when she opened one of his containers.:shout: