Some tips

sakthi

Things you must carry with you.

1. matchbox to start a fire, handy candle will be of help.
2. carry a stove to prepare a warm meal, double-check it whether it is filled with fuel,also carry some spare fuel.
3. Waterproof sleeping bag and tents.
4. Raincoat, big enough to cover the backpack and you.
5. travel in group, check whether u have enough supplies for all.
6. Try to speak to people, who are experienced

Talk to locals and read information in guidebooks about the place.

HereToday

good advice

Those are some very good tips, some excellent advice. Maybe the very best tip there is about talking to some locals, I bet that saves a lot of potential grief!

Kev

Generally wherever I've been trekking I've found the locals to be invaluable. Local knowledge is something that should not be undervalued. In all honesty, I'd put it far and away top of that list for importance.

pavan

While going for a trekking tour, you have to take extra precautions and make sure to pay out a few extra bucks and your time to choose the correct boots, otherwise half of your trip will be in pain. Spend little more time to get a correct size of your shoes as poor-fitting shoes can be tormenting on a long trek. Go for a brand with a diverse variety of widths, some companies also offer narrow as well as wide boots. Women trekkers should go for a 'gender-specific boot', that have an anatomically accurate shape called as a "last". You have to be sure enough that your toes do not touch the end of the laced-up boots when you walk down a slope, and also the heel doesn't lift more than a quarter of an inch when you walk.Start with beginner-rated trails of a mile or less and then work your way up to longer, more difficult hikes. Normally a signboard is always there at the trailhead that shows the route length, also always mark your time and effort respectively as the posted mileage is typically one-way.

shaan

June should be okay. Lowest temperatures 7-8 degrees, while in May it can drop down close to zero at Leh´s altitude.
I heard remarks from Ladakhis last time around that it`s been getting noticably warmer , esp. in the winter - normal river crossings not safe etc.

sunny

Never miss the essential things like flash light, water and tissue papers.

henry

One thing you must never miss is the guide for that particular place you are visiting. If the place is not familiar, learn about the place from net or try talking to the locals who live there.

richy

Always carry matches in waterproof zip lock bags. To be doubly sure, coat the tip of the matches with a thin layer of candle wax. The coating can be scraped off at the time of lighting.

It does not make sense wasting a complete matchbox to start a fire during wet conditions. A handy candle can come to your rescue. Remember to carry one.

If you are carrying a stove to prepare a warm meal, double-check it to see if it is filled with fuel. Always carry some spare fuel. You will never know when it might come handy.

tpk

Hiking equipment may be considered in several categories

* Items Worn - Things that a hiker wears on the hiking trip. This may include footwear, clothing, head gear, etc.
* Carrying Items - Backpacks, waist packs, walking sticks or staffs, etc.
* Essential gear - Items that are essential for the hike safety or necessary in potential emergency situations.
* Food and drink - Food items to consume as snacks, lunch, or in emergencies.
* Optional Items - Any other items that the hiker desires to bring along including seating pads, chairs, notebooks, hammocks, and sometimes even computers.

anand

If you are too worried about fitness and heart problems then avoid it.
Try to maintain constant rate of climbing. You can practice this if you have hills near by. Improve your stamina by setting new goals of increasing your work out.
Carry an I-pod or portable MP3 player with you to avoid getting bored.
Preferably you can go for weight training programs. This will make you more energetic and prevent you from getting into unnecessary injuries.

slide

Thanks for the tips.
But if you are going to prepare your own meal dont forget the stove and other necessary items for it.

And those walking sticks make for a solid tent pole with your rain tarp; an easy way to put your food bag, etc. out of reach of the bears, etc....besides just good mobility & spider web clearing on the trail.

le Metis

If you are too worried about fitness and heart problems then avoid it.
Try to maintain constant rate of climbing. You can practice this if you have hills near by. Improve your stamina by setting new goals of increasing your work out.
Carry an I-pod or portable MP3 player with you to avoid getting bored.
Preferably you can go for weight training programs. This will make you more energetic and prevent you from getting into unnecessary injuries.
The best way to maintain a constant rate of climbing, more so on steep trails is knowing how to rest step...and at altitude, pressure breathing....

Climbing Technique called the "Rest Step" | GetOutdoorGear.com

sh4d0wm4573ri7

Lose the matches opt instead for a quality ferro rod (Blastmatch,Strike Force etc) works even wet wet And to go along with that take cotton balls mixed with petroleum jelly also works when wet best fire starter I have found.

IndianaHiker

Good ideas but I carry some different gear and ideas

1. I never carry matches. I always have to lighters with me. They stay in a dry-bag with my stove. I also have a Light my Fire Striker but have never needed it. Its honestly been more of a cool item then needed item.

2. I have a canister stove and love it. Usually dont carry a second fuel can as I can cook over a fire if it fails.

3. No sleeping bag is waterproof. Even with the nice materials and coatings used today they are not waterproof. I also don't carry a tent about 90%of the time. I Find that my trekking poles some 550 cord a trap and 4 tent stakes provide good shelter.

4. A rain coat is a good idea in colder weather but in summer I don't carry one. In my experience anytime I have been caught in the rain the rain gear breaths very little. What that means is that I get just as wet via sweat as I would with the rain. I opt to carry a back cover and a hat to keep the rain off my head if it is warm. Colder temps different story.

5. I rarely go out with a group I am solo most of the time. To be safe I have a few poeple that knwo where I am going, what route I am taking, and I check in if possible. Possible most important they knwo when I should be off the trail and if late they can alert SAR and be able to give them the excat route I am traveling.

Not saying anything you said is wrong just wanted to show another idea as everyone here has heard "Hike your own hike"

Things you must carry with you.

1. matchbox to start a fire, handy candle will be of help.
2. carry a stove to prepare a warm meal, double-check it whether it is filled with fuel,also carry some spare fuel.
3. Waterproof sleeping bag and tents.
4. Raincoat, big enough to cover the backpack and you.
5. travel in group, check whether u have enough supplies for all.
6. Try to speak to people, who are experienced

Talk to locals and read information in guidebooks about the place.