What is the one thing you HAVE to take

Jade

I refuse to go camping or anywhere out into the boonies without my "gizmo".

I call it a "gizmo" but it's a utility knife similar to a swiss army knife, but on a smaller scale. It's got flint, files, blades, blunt nosed wire cutter, tweezers, screwdrivers The case it's in has room for a baby Bic lighter .

If I have the gizmo and lighter, I can manage in just about any envrion north of 49; I've actually done it, but it was several years ago now.

Ms. Nibbles

I can certainly see why that would be the one thing you wouldn't go camping without. Where can you buy one of those and what brand is the best? I would love to get one for the next time we go camping.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Well, 22 and 1/2 years in the infantry should have earned you a decent pension and the knowledge that you need to drink and pee.

What unit were you with?

paloma

I can't go camping without drinking water and something to cover me when I sleep, usually a malong. or an afghan.

Jade

I want a gizmo I carry on my key ring. It's a type of utility tool, similar to a Swiss Army knife, but more compact. There's a spot on the side of its case to put water purification tablets into, and a spot on the other side for a lighter: I'm set.

ChadTower

If I only get one thing, my multi-tool. if I have it I can get by. If i get two items, multi-tool and water.

I'm not going to count water because at that point we may as well count air. You just can't live without water.

My multitool is item #1. Spend the money on the best one you can afford. It is worth it.

woodsman

My pocket knife, it's the one thing that should be at everybody side in my opinion, worst comes to worst even if you have nothing else, you already have a tool to set up a shelter, make a fire and find food.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Back in the late nineties I put together what I call a walkaway package. It consists of a 10/22 Ruger rifle, a medium sized back pack, and a jacket. The pack and jacket are loaded with gear and ammunition. The rifle is just loaded. I can put this stuff on and "walkaway". Everything I need is in this kit. I've tested it so I know.

Chippin

I guess the one thing that I always have to take camping would be my iPod. No bad looks please! I like music whenever I go outdoors, and while nature itself is nice and peaceful to the ears, sometimes it's a little *too* peaceful, and I'd rather fish with some nice vocals humming in my ears.

Grandpa

air, water shelter food. The air is a given, and how much water is enough? For 50 years, my #1 was a good knife, then I discovered multi-tools. Leatherman and Gerber are the best of the best imo. But I found I did not need screwdrivers, pliers, etc to survive and the knife blade in the best of the multi-tools is just not enough. So, my # 1 is back to a good, folding, lockback knife. My favorites are a 4 inch "Benchmade" and a 5 inch "Kershaw". Both have serations on the back of the blade, heavy enough that I can draw a spark from any sharp piece of granite or flint. (fire) cut bark and branches off a dead tree, (shelter) or skin a gopher if necessary for food, (although a rabbit or trout would be much preferred) A close second to my number one is a good old enamal cup. From brewing native teas for both nourishment and first aids to boiling and settleing dirty water, with these two items I WILL survive. Toilet paper may be a necessary convenience but far far from a survival necessity.

Last edited: