Security Measures

Itchy_Ivy

I have heard of people being robbed and worse while camping. What security measures do you take when going camping? Are there a list of most secure camping grounds on the web? It would be interesting to know what places are the most dangerous.

le Metis

It's something that I don't worry about, due to often being in places that the general public will never go. However, the AT imho, of the long trails is the most dangerous due to easy access by the general public. The PCT from Campo up to Warner Springs would also fall into this category. For the Arizona trail, that would be from the boarder up to Miami/Globe...
Having said that, I am always armed; and on the AT, I never use the shelters, camp as far away from the trail as possible at night, nor will I discuss my itenary with anyone when I hit a town...also, I never use money, but a credit card when resupplying....

outdoorlover001

i always have at least 1 handgun on me(357) usually everyone in our group is packing a handgun or shot gun. we also take BIGGGGG dogs with us( mine is a newfoundland/huskee mix) remember, out there you are by your lonesome, be prepared for it.

CozInCowtown

.38 Special EVERYWHERE.
I worry more about snakes and such but it is allways with me.
I have a very attractive (read HOT!) wife and 15 year old daughter I have to worry about also.
The .38 is big enough to be of some protective value but the revolver is small enough to be carried all day comfortably.
Coz

oldsarge

Empty hand techniques and knife work! Up close and personal...freaks em out every time.

BCBabe

Having ambushed a bunch of army cadets lacking in manners in the dark of night, I can tell you that RAMBO hasn't a thing on this old girl. By the time me and my Other Half were done with them, they were not only giving the campsite a really WIDE berth, they'd knocked the noise down by half.

Just what I carry in my purse can make me dangerous to a jerk with ill intentions, and I'll make sure that twerp is easily found by the cops, too.

Sophia

I guess there are people who hide out in the woods, or seek out hikers, but I have been fortunate enough to not have encountered anyone. But I would think that most campers are armed, in case of an animal attack, so I don't see why anyone would mess with them.

YogiBear

Never had to worry about it but a friend of mine actually carries electric wire and puts it around the campsite. I usually only carry my gun with me and ofcourse my rott comes along too.

BTBoop

Having worked as a correctional deputy and going through massive training. My husband and I are always prepared for any situation. We each carry a couple of hand guns and our cuffs with us pretty much any where we go.

Judy Ann

Wow. No wonder my friends and family worry about me hiking and camping alone. I wonder if everyone is really armed? I just try to be prepared for fun and adventure. The thought of people running around with guns and handcuffs on the trails seems a little over kill to me. I hope I'm not anywhere around when you shoot and injure a wild animal. What in the heck do you and your sweetie need multiple guns and two sets of cuffs for while walking in the woods or camping? The cuffs are really baffling me. I hope most people leave the guns at home because my little army knife certainly wasn't meant to protect me from human error in judgement.

Judy Ann

Dinosaur, I guess I'm confused. When BTBoop wrote about carrying hand guns and cuffs I assumed she meant handcuffs considering her past work experience. At any rate, some additional red flags popped up about safety while camping and hiking for all of us unarmed people. Perhaps I should have done what I considered which was to take a poll to see how many are armed and dangerous on the trails. I opted not to go that route because I knew that I would have to stop doing something that is very dear to me.

It takes a tremendous amount of courage for some people to venture out on their own. The fact that guns are being carried doesn't worry me half as much as the rationale why. I'd probably get bit by the snake that I was trying to shoot, so I give it plenty of room. Wounded animals scare me more than someone carrying a weapon to defend themself. The thought of too many freaks out in the woods frightens me. There are times that I am joined by children on my adventures and I would never want to put them in underestimated danger because of my lack of education.

Most people are kind and decent and tend to naturally look out for those around them. I have appreciated those who have taken a few extra minutes assessing my situation and offering help if needed. I was especially touched by a thirteen year old girl from Virginia who kept me company by my fire one night because she didn't want me to be scared all by myself.

Grandpa

Judy, you are just mis-informed by mainstream media about the danger of guns. They are just another inanimate mechanical tool. They do not decide to shoot somebody. It takes a human to do that. I pass people who are armed all the time but I have yet to hear a shot fired in the wilderness. I don't even fill my magazine all the way. I figure if I need more than 5-6 bullets, I'll be dead anyway.

I was robbed two years ago. I had my gun and I had my dog. Someone(s) lowered my food bag out of the tree and took it. They also took the food from another camp in the same basin. My guess, boy scouts on a night raid. Dog was snoring too loud so I didn't hear them, and since it was a bunch of ill trained, snot nosed brats with a dip schitt, stupid A$$ scoutmaster, I wouldn't have shot them anyway. I may have followed them and kicked some serious booty out of their leader if I knew where they went. We were ten miles from the trailhead. I was in a mighty mean mood without my morning coffee or anything to eat. What really made me angry, it was my first night out on a planned week trek and I had to abort. The other camp was a mom and dad and a little girl, maybe 8-10 years old. They left the basin about an hour before I did and I caught them less than 4 miles away. I am sure they were all hurting with no breakfast or snacks before they got out.

By the way, 68,999,982 gun owners did not shoot anybody today.

CozInCowtown

Oh? We may be terrible people but we are not victims!
Hope you are never a victim either but it sounds like it will be only luck that prevents it.
I have a beautiful wife and children and I am not Rambo.
I choose to protect my family and not have my wife and/or 15 year old daughter raped in front of me. This probably makes me morally inferior in some peoples eyes but so be it, my wife and children will not have to deal with the emotional and physical damage of a criminal act due to my horrible dedication as a husband and parent to protect them up to and including deadly force.
Guess I am just a bad person....
JMO,
DC

Last edited:

Judy Ann

Hold on there gentlemen! I didn't mean to come across as judgemental. I can shoot all types of guns. I learned to skeet shoot from an old mountain man who shot from the hip. My dad had a rifle range in his basement. I grew up in the mountains learning to hunt and fish like everyones kids. I support the NRA. I am counting on those of you watching over and protecting your own families to keep an eye out for everyone around you including me. I know that I am fairly limited in defending myself and my property.

Short of wearing my "Don't Mess With Texas" shirt or sleeping with my coffee (bummer Grandpa) I'm pretty helpless out there on my own. I believe that being well prepared and having some emergency plan in mind will help in addition to dumb luck.

I hope all you dads out there are teaching your wives and children some basic survival skills just in case you are injured or need medical assistance. Hopefully this great nation will never see the day when we are no longer safe to enjoy the beauty in our own back yards or rely on the kindness of strangers. Thank you to everyone keeping this dream alive and to those who have lost thier lives defending and protecting our freedom. I am as always in your debt.

BCBabe

Wow, you guys, I've not heard of such experiences up in my neck of the woods: hell, you aren't allowed to carry up here, for the most part.

Then again, the likelihood of running into others in some of the more remote areas are slim to none: a GPS transponder is likely of more use than a gun.... 'just saying.

Judy Ann

I'm with you on that BCBabe...SPOT satellite communicator is more beneficial in the grand scheme of things when alone in the wilderness...just my opinion.