Primitive firestarting

SmackontheWeb

My philosophy on primative firestarting is pretty the same for all other primative/survival skills...

"Patience Grasshoppa"

primitivesite

What about using sunlight and a magnifying glass, or a substitute like prescription glasses or some sort of scrap glass? Has anyone had success with that? I have not. If it's possible to get it to work, where could you find the best kind of glass in a setting like a war torn city?

dinosaur

troublemaker
Yes, you can start a fire with eyeglasses and the sun. It is a matter of directing the sunlight properly. It is even possible to start a fire using a piece of clear ice.

Like SmackontheWeb says, "Patience Grasshoppa"

Michael

I've been trying to work my fire starting skills progressively in a more primitive direction of late.

Last night was my first fire started with a fero rod, exclusively with tinder I found in the woods. It had even rained the night before, so I had to hunt around for dry stuff.

I just have to say, a fire has never been so warm or bright as last night's. It felt like such an accomplishment to do it that way.

Next spring, I think I'm going to try to learn the bow drill.

FireBuilder

It had even rained the night before, so I had to hunt around for dry stuff.
If it's the right season, try the fluff inside of milkweed pods. They stay remarkably dry, even after a hard rain.

If they are not in season, many barks can be loosened from trees, then the inner bark scraped to make a dry tinder that starts quickly with a magnifying glass or bow drill.

The trick to a bow drill is to KEEP GOING when you see the smoke. Your tendency is to stop and say "wow, smoke", but that is exactly when you need to KEEP GOING.

sh4d0wm4573ri7

I have practiced extensively with several forms of primitive fire and all have been a challenge so far the fire plow has eluded me but I have the bow n drill and hand drill down as well as flint n steel, fire piston, and a fire saw. Little trick for the hand drill , carve a deep notch across the top and take piece of cord with a loop in each end. Place it in notch and slide down til tight a thumb in each loop gives you constant adjustable downward pressure as you spin the spindle, hope that makes sense

Grandpa

Years ago as a boy scout, could never make a bow work for me. But had a knack with flint and steel, to the point I could get a spark from even a piece of granite off the back of my knife. As someone suggested, scraping the cambrium layer under bark, finding a gopher or mouse hole and robbing his nest, or even the lining from some birds nests make excellent tinder. Just to keep my confidence up, I still try my hand once a year, mostly showing off to the grandkids. The rest of the time, a bunch of sticks and a quick burst from the pocket rocket works just fine. If you really want a hi-tech primitive way to start a fire, touch the end of a 9 volt radio battery to a bit of fine steel wool. ( the little rectangular battery with the +/- clips on the same end) {don't practice this on the living room carpet}

Grandpa

From the old glass pop bottle days, many a discarded pop bottle has started a wildfire. I was just a tad when this happened. A neighbor was stacking loose hay. His wife brought out a mason jar with ice water in it for him. He had a drink, set the half empty bottle next to the haystack and went back to the field for another load. The prismatic effect of the water in the bottle and a hot July sun took his haystack up in smoke before he got back from the field.

Last edited:

Starling

So far, I haven't been able to start a fire without a lighter or matches and whatnot. I've tried and could honestly say that while I could make some sparks, it was never enough to actually get a fire going.

I still try sometimes, but I know I never go anywhere without my equipment. There's nothing worse than a camping site without a fire, especially when it gets colder out.

Mr Grizz

dryer lint, dried out weeds and small twigs are my choice of napalm. a spark from flint some magnesium and its hell in hearth in less then 30 secs. but my question is what wood works best with the bow and stick? im using tree bark as the fire plate (lack of better calling) i believe its some type of pine. as for the stick, im not sure. help help.

update: i figured it out, a small pilot hole and some cedar worked in my living room. made some smoke but almost broke my arm off my back. seems to need a wider semi blunted stick, good surface area looks to do the trick.

Last edited:

BCBabe

I can do it the old way, or the more modern way... I'm not so good with a bow or flint, but can make them both work for me.

I'm a lazy camper now: I take 3 lighters (each in it's own ziploc bag), and 6 ziplocs with a parted-out duraflame log in each. No matter how wet, or sparse, the tinder, that bit of duraflame is going to make sure that the fire lights the first time 'round.