Backpacking stove

southerngal

Our backpacking stove that we had forever has gone missing so now I guess we need a new one. What are some good brand names I can be looking out for?

northernbushape

The Jeepist
What kind of size are you in need of? I use a Pocket Rocket stove for back packing and I have a small cook set that I use with it, or I'll just boil whatever in my SS cup.

In this video you can see the stove, SS cup, and cook set in action briefly around the 7:18 mark. You can see that this set up is versatile, but you will need a solid, level surface to use it.

This stuff came in around the $100 mark for the stove, can of fuel, and cooking pots. The SS cup was just a few bucks.

[YTP]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RMmHaeMEEw0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RMmHaeMEEw0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YTP]

Newanderthal

I built an alcohol stove for about $0.75 out of some hardware cloth, foil and a tealight candle cup. I've been using it for years. The fuel is cheap, the stove weighs 2 oz. and I can boil water, scramble eggs, make noodles, cook instant rice, and even sausage.

scarynickname

I built an alcohol stove once, I still have it somewhere, but I'll have to go with the pocket rocket on this one. I've been using mine for years. Hell, I use it to boil water at work. Do they even still make them?

Thumper

That sounds rather nice. I don't think I've seen one in use before. I've seen them in shops but I've not been shopping for anything for a while.

I found a review of these here at this site:

MSR Pocket Rocket Backpacking Stove Reviews, Best Prices, and Coupons - Cascadeclimbers - Skiing and Snowboarding

I've always used an alcohol stove but I may have to break down and get one of these. You guys almost have me convinced. Especially since they say you can use this with gloves on which would be great in cold weather.

Apis

If it's three season go alcohol stove. Trangia™ is a good commercial brand, but there are loads of demo. on youtube to make your own from aluminum cans (penny stoves, et c.).

If winter use is mandated look for an easily vapourised fuel that burns cleanly. I hate stove maintenance more than the HIV.

Refrigerator

MSR , Primus, Snow Peak, Optimus, just to name a few.
I have every MSR stove sold and collect old white gas stoves like the sweedish brand stoves, Optimus, Svea etc,...
Currently own 11 isobutane stoves, 17 alcahol stoves of different models, and a total of 57 stoves in all. Yep I love stoves.

outdoormarc

Survival Guru
I still have my pocket rocket around somewhere....

I converted to alcohol a while back, with a caldera cone system and a fosters beer can. In the hands of someone who has the know how, alcohol is top dog.

alacorn5

For long-distance, super-light travelling, nothing can beat the wood-burning Sierra Zip stove. I have the titanium model which is pricey, but it only weighs 9 ounces and there is no need to carry any fuel at all ( except the AA battery that runs the tiny fan). The regular version weighs one pound. Boil times are equal or better than any gas or cartridge stove made. I once hiked ten days with one and boiled many gallons of water without even using up one AA battery and I never had to worry about running out of fuel. It'll burn sticks, pine cones, animal scat, bark or anything else that will burn.

Peesalot

We own two Jetboils One we bought and the other we won! The electric igniter has failed on both of the systems we own, but the super quick boil time makes up for that small inconvenience of needing to use a lighter. We haven't tried it out on the higher summits in the winter (our highest summit here in New Hampshire is 6,288'), but my understanding is that it may work just fine though most people do recommend going with white gas in the winter so you don't have to risk the fuel freezing. So I guess it really depends on what you plan on using the stove for and what your preferences are. Most people who are backpacking often will try to keep their meals simple and quick so fast boil time is a plus for that, but if you're not in a hurry and want to cook yourself a three course meal than you may be more interested in some of the other cook systems. See what your friends are using and ask to borrow their systems so you can try before you buy. That's usually the best way to find out what works best for you and it's certainly cheaper!! :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

jnagel32

I have to agree that the MSR Pocket Rocket is an awesome light little stove. I usually use freeze dried foods, so I just boil water. It is awesome for this. If you plan on cooking "real" food I'd probably go with something else. It doesn't distribute the heat very well. It has a relatively small heating area, but it's great for boiling water...

le Metis

The Pocket Rocket is a great little stove ... however, my backup is the MSR XGK. It'll burn nearly anything, but the down side is that it won't simmer...

Refrigerator

le Metis/ The more I read your input the more I like your expertise..I also use the MSR XGK and think this is the best stove MSR has ever made (White Gas)
I also have the older version le Metis with the rigid gas line but now prefer the flex line with new frame.
My first choice of stove if I had to rely on a stove in the bush.

Mentalfloss1

MSR makes reliable stoves. I have a Whisperlite now and love it. I also have a Jetboil that I got at an REI used gear sale (supposedly didn't work) and I use it from time to time. The sparker on these is fragile but so what? It's easy to use a match or a lighter.
The advantages of a white gas stove, in general, is better performance in cold weather, no cans to recycle, and it's easy to know when you're low on fuel. You can use a reflective windscreen with MSR white gas stoves so that they work well in high wind.
Isobutane/propane stoves are easy to use, just light and cook. The Jetboil and especially the MSR Reactor, are very efficient so you'll carry less fuel. Both work great in high wind, but especially the Reactor is invulnerable in wind.
Alcohol stoves are fine for most uses but they have problems in the wind and I spend a lot of time above timberline, in the wind.