Camp Grounds and the Homeless

waverider365

I live where we have quite a few beach campgrounds but a few of them are constantly used by a majority of homeless families which is very sad for their situation and sad that no one else wants to camp there.
Does any other city experience this?

Chary

I had no idea that this was going on. Are these free campgrounds or is it all that these families can afford? It's knowing things like this when reality hits concerning the condition our country is in.

Archer

I was actually told that I should look into a campground space for a friend of mine who is having trouble finding an affordable place to rent. At first I couldn't believe it, but the recommender says it's common these days.

Erwin

I have a friend of the family that actually prefers camping with their family instead of renting! I also did it for a summer with them and it was actually kind of fun!

ChadTower

Not in MA, that's for sure. $30/night here plus tax at state campgrounds. That's $900/month which is very comparable to low end market rents in some places here.

Hayley

Unfortunately, that is the case around here as well, but I don't really mind as long as everything is kept safe and guarded. I feel for those who don't have a home; it has to be so difficult to get through a single day.

ChadTower

Yeah, wouldn't bother me at all, if they're following standard campground etiquette. Who am I to get in their business? There is no campground requirement that campers must have a home outside the campground.

striker

I usually go camping in the woods and it's quite rare that I meet any other people other than the group I'm with there, as far as the beach would be concerned they could be aliens for all I care, don't bother me I won't bother you.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Not in MA, that's for sure. $30/night here plus tax at state campgrounds. That's $900/month which is very comparable to low end market rents in some places here.

Holy crap!! You can rent a house in a good neighborhood for $900/month here! Ya know, I've been to every state in the union but my only time in MA was a fly in to Boston for a few days on business. I drank most of their beer and ate a mountain of oysters and cherrystone clams. That was back in the eighties. I had a great time but I don't think I'll be returning to go camping any time soon.

Here in Indiana, if they charged me $30 a night to camp I'd expect facilities for a hot shower, towels, electricity to every campsite, a propane grill, and a rubdown every night before beddyby.

So, how much is a fishing or hunting license in MA if you're from out of state? No. Don't tell me. I don't think I want to know. So how is tourism in your state other than those half-wits looking to photograph a Kennedy?

No offense, Chad. I don't mean to insult you or the great state of Massachusetts. I'm just poking fun.

ChadTower

So how is tourism in your state other than those half-wits looking to photograph a Kennedy?
Tourism actually booms in MA. People don't come here for camping. Hell Tom Brady's parking spot alone is a tourist attraction. :tinysmile_grin_t:

No offense, Chad. I don't mean to insult you or the great state of Massachusetts. I'm just poking fun.
No offense taken. NH has some of the best state parks in the country and campsites cost half of what they cost here. OTOH, there are a few truly breathtaking campgrounds here, that are fully worth the cost. You just have to reserve spots in those places 6 months ahead of time.