Tent, Camper, or Under the Stars

Rider One

Everyone has more fun camping their own style. I think it's the most fun when sleeping under the stars, like the cowboys did. What's your preferred way of enjoying camping when you sleep?

Lorax

There's a time and place for each depending on situations and time I have to do it.

Sometimes I'll stuff a portage pack and paddle it. Sometimes I'll stuff a pack and hit the trails and sometimes, we'll load up the pop-up and take the bicycles to do some national forest campgrounds.

It's nice to have options

John13np

I like to sleep in my tent. However, if the weather permits I will sleep under the stars every now and then on my extended backpacking trips. Say, 5 nights in my tent and two nights under the stars.

The area also has a lot to do with sleeping outside my tent. I'm not a fan of having critters running over my sleeping bags! :)

Chippin

My biggest preference is sleeping under the stars but it doesn't always happen that way. There's nothing quite like being sound asleep outside when a sudden storm hits. I ran for shelter coincidentally under a tree like an idiot while a thunderstorm raged above. From then on I always carry my tent with me, even if the weather promises clear skies.

Jade

Only if it's for the one night, and it's a dry, clear night.

I have a buddy who has a chunk of land in a rural region: I love going up there in the Summer months and crashing on his back lawn, the view of the stars overhead is almost dizzying; there's also a group of the loudest crickets I've ever heard up there.

John13np

Only if it's for the one night, and it's a dry, clear night.

I have a buddy who has a chunk of land in a rural region: I love going up there in the Summer months and crashing on his back lawn, the view of the stars overhead is almost dizzying; there's also a group of the loudest crickets I've ever heard up there.
Yeah that sounds great. If I had an area like that I'd definitely be under the stars because I would have a roof to run under and dry up :D

woodsman

I guess I would have to agree that it mainly depends on the climate I will be facing. I enjoy sleeping under the stars, but not if it means hypothermia or taking an all natural shower all night long.

FireBuilder

If my dog is with me, I don't mind sleeping outside. When it's just us humans, I'll stick with a tent, for the tiny bit of protection it will provide from whatever wildlife is lurking out there.

Erwin

I love sleeping under the stars. I usually take a tent with me just in case or if I have the family with me as the wife prefers a tent.

Yogi

It really just depends on what the focus of any particular trip is. If it's fishing, then I like to maximize my fishing time and use a trailer. Fussing with camping gear can really get time consuming.