Bacon

Jade

We love the smell of bacon cooking, and take the stuff with us when we go camping.

What I'm curious about is, if you also take bacon, how do you choose to cook it?

We use a type of spit and hang the bacon on it; I am NOT cleaning greasy frying pans when I'm recreating!

Refrigerator

I have on a few Backpacking trips taken Bacon already cooked in a package. Breakfast/ Steamed Bagel with melted cheddar or Swiss cheese, boiled eggs that have been broken up and looks like scrambled eggs and add as much bacon as you can handle.

dinosaur

troublemaker
If I'm tailgate camping, I fry the bacon in a skillet on the Coleman stove. Then I soak the grease up with pieces of bread which I later throw to the coons that come in late when I'm sitting around the fire. If you feed them, they don't have as much tendency to get into your stuff while you're sleeping. Cleaning the skillet is easy. You just pour some water and dish soap in the pan and put it back on the stove. Let it cook until almost boiling then dump it, rinse it and wipe clean with a paper towel.

Backpacking is a whole other deal. I do it the way the Refrigerator does it. It keeps well and all you have to do is heat it (or not).

ChadTower

Sort of the same here. My family likes a LOT of breakfast when we're camping. We will go through nearly a whole package of bacon each morning. I have a 3 in 1 Coleman stove for short trips and the skillet mode works great for bacon. I can channel the grease into a pan under the skillet for easy cleaning. It gets soaked up into paper towels and stored in a ziploc bag for use as a fantastic firestarter.

Note that this is done when state park camping outside of bear country.

Bobby

It gets soaked up into paper towels and stored in a ziploc bag for use as a fantastic firestarter.
Super idea! I've saved my bacon grease to use to grease pans when cooking eggs, pancakes, etc, but never thought of using it as firestarter. Now I'm itching to get out there and try it!

ChadTower

Super idea! I've saved my bacon grease to use to grease pans when cooking eggs, pancakes, etc, but never thought of using it as firestarter. Now I'm itching to get out there and try it!

Works great, burns slow like a candle, but goes rancid after a few days.

Gondor

I have on a few Backpacking trips taken Bacon already cooked in a package. Breakfast/ Steamed Bagel with melted cheddar or Swiss cheese, boiled eggs that have been broken up and looks like scrambled eggs and add as much bacon as you can handle.
OK, you just made me hungry. :) Anyway, I don't bring tasty foods that is hard to prepare. I just carry rice for carbohydrates, canned tuna for proteins and a small bottle of olive oil for fats. In addition there are many energy bars based on cereals (since chocolate ones will melt in the sun), instant soups and similar.

Hayley

Let me just say that all of you have made me extremely hungry and there isn't a single slice of bacon in the house! Shame on you. :} I feel guilty about it, but I do love that bacon smell and taste.

Gondor

You are right though because bacon although very tasty it isn't a very good choice of food. I believe that only on the trail when you need a lot of calories it may be a good choice.

Bambi

Bacon seems to go with just about everything, doesn't it? Before we go on a trip, I bake a whole batch of bacon in the oven. I put it on a rack and let the drippings go into a pan below.

Erwin

I love to cook bacon in a skillet on the Coleman too and use the grease as a starter. You all have made me hungry too! I guess it is time to start dinner now..hmmm bacon and eggs for dinner sounds like such a good idea.

woodsman

I'm not much of a bacon fan my self, to much fat. I prefer to prepare a steak and I usually do it over an open fire with a make shift grill, if I were a bacon kind of guy I guess I'd be the same.

Last edited:

Refrigerator

I'm not much of a bacon fan my self, to much fat. I prefer to prepare a stake and I usually do it over an open fire with a make shift grill, if I were a bacon kind of guy I guess I'd be the same.
Wohaa I have never eaten a stake but I have used them to secure my tents, Tarps. I have sunk my teeth into a few steaks though.
Just rib-in ya Woodsman...I know what you meant....I do love a nice steak.

Last edited: