Delicate Question...

Rookie

I'm used to hiking, backpacking, camping, etc. and am very new to exploring caves, rock climbing, etc. I have something of a delicate question.

In the woods when nature calls, I simply step a good distance off the trail, dig a shallow hole, do my business, clean up with non-poisonous leaves, then cover it up with dirt, leaves, etc.

What does a person do when exploring a rocky terrain with little foliage, or a deep, barren natural cave?

Gondor

Just do your thing and move on. I wouldn't suggest holding it in. Maybe some people would suggest that you need to ruin your health in order to leave the nature intact. I say those people are missing some screws. After all, does bear .... in the woods?

Bobby

Just do your thing and move on. I wouldn't suggest holding it in. Maybe some people would suggest that you need to ruin your health in order to leave the nature intact. I say those people are missing some screws. After all, does bear .... in the woods?

All well and good "in the woods". Not so good on rocks. I bring along biodegradable TP, and try to find at least some sort of shrubbery or a recess - definitely not on the main trail, or where someone may be reaching for a handhold.

I'll have to look into those WAG bags.

Refrigerator

just find a crack in some rocks and aim. I have never had a problem doing my business no matter where I was and what I was standing on. It's all natural anyhoo.

Starling

I never considered having to do to the bathroom while you're in a cave or whatnot. After all, not all caves are that large and if you know how long it's going to be, you can go before you go inside and not ruin nature or yourself.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I agree. As I've said before there isn't a square inch of ground anywhere on this planet that hasn'r been crapped on by some animal. And the spring water you buy is nothing more than recycled dinosaur pee.

FireBuilder

My favorite was standing on the continental divide, adding to the volume of the Atlantic then the Pacific, Atlantic, Pacific.

Women, don't you envy us men?

Jobiwan

My wife and I went to check out these local caves. We hiked in about 2 miles when 3 youths (15-16) were coming down the trail. We exchanged hello's. One asked if we were going into the caves. He said there is always a reward when spelunking. When we got to the cave entrance I started to climb in but my footing slipped so I slid on my butt to the first decent. My wife went to enter when she screamed "Ewww It's piss!" I guess these boys left us a reward. I had already trudged through it so I went on and went into the cave... my wife did not. Thank goodness for hand sanitizer.

Attachments

Refrigerator

Yea I have only once come into an area with Human business......In a designated camp area too. I though the people who would do this is lucky I didn't know who they were. A lack of common sense or the willingness to not care of that person is negative to what I believe in and practice.

Aria

My favorite was standing on the continental divide, adding to the volume of the Atlantic then the Pacific, Atlantic, Pacific.

Women, don't you envy us men?

Actually at this moment I do LOL That had to have been an amazing thing. Seriously, I mean the view not the taking aim.

Newanderthal

If I crawled into a cave and put my hand in piss, I'd punch the nearest person in the face. Go before you go into the cave and anything else can find its way into a bag.