Turning back

FireBuilder

What would make you turn back on a trail?

If you had planned to be out all day, had packed provisions for several hours and started out, what would it take for you to say "that's it. I'm outta here."?

Hayley

I haven't had that happen, either, but in my mind, I would say if something in the terrain proved to be too perilous, if someone got sick or had an emergency, or if someone was too difficult to get along with and might even cause some peril.

Jobiwan

I bailed once during a backpacking trip. I had rolled my ankle about 200 yards from a road crossing, called my ride and was picked up. I was scheduled to be picked up later that day at the next road crossing about 8 miles down the trail. It was nothing severe and I probably could have finished but I chose not too because I didn't want to injure it any further. This was in the Fall when I dayhike and/or backpack every week.

woodsman

I imagine that if something life threatening came up and there was a way to reach me in my current location or if I managed to hurt myself so severely that I cannot continue.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I have to say, the only thing that ever made me bail was the folks I was with. I figured they couldn't make it.

Chippin

I have to say, the only thing that ever made me bail was the folks I was with. I figured they couldn't make it.
This has happened to me. I didn't exactly bail per say, but I know that what should have been only an hour hike around the lake turned into a 3-hour struggle with some friends of the family who couldn't understand how to walk over logs or mounds without falling on their faces (It happened 3 times in the first hour).