Back pack weight

Bambi

I am wondering if there is any sort of a guideline for how much weight it is safe for a person to carry in a back pack?

John13np

Most of it just depends on your own personal ability. There may be some sort of guideline, but it wouldn't be accurate.

Barney

I know a physical worker who can carry almost 100 lbs for miles and he weighs not more than 170 lbs. Go figure.

Jobiwan

Pack weight depends on the person who is carrying it. Use a pack that is properly fitted...it will distribute the weight properly. Pack your pack with the heaviest items lower and closest towards your back. Learn what NOT to bring. Your pack should feel comfortable without the feeling of being off balance. Adjust your hip belt and shoulder straps accordingly. My day pack weighs about 30 lbs ( I keep 20 lbs of weights in it) and my backpack usually weighs between 35-40 lbs in the winter and about 30-35 lbs in the summer. This is enough supplies for 3-4 days.

Gondor

Depends on the pack. If you're going on a day trip I recommend 30 to 50 liter packs, while weekend trips require 50 - 65 liter packs.

striker

Like others have said, it hugely depends on the individual, the safe weight is what you can carry, having a backpack that distributes load equally and packing smart might also be beneficial.

Lorax

Depends on many factors.

Weight of selected gear, the amount of time you will be out and the amount (if any) water you have to carry.

If I have no water to carry, I'm usually 9-11lbs for a weekend (late spring - early fall)

18-23 lbs for trips over 4 days or early spring/late fall trips where some heavier and warmer gear is needed.

35+ lbs for long trips or winter backpacking/snowshoeing trips.

IndianaHiker

So true this summer I went and with no available water except at point where I cached I was carrying almost 10 lbs of just water.

Bambi

My husband and I did a backpacking trip last summer for four days. I carried 35 pounds, he carried 40. I weigh 125, he weighs 170. I slipped his pack on, and there was no way!

Yogi

I think that it is like anything else physical---it's probably best to gradually work up to "max capacity" rather than taking on too much too quickly.

jloomis

I used to carry heavy packs thinking I needed everything under the kitchen sink. The most I have carried is about 80lbs on a short 2 mile hike. I weigh about 140 pounds. Loads that heavy are not enjoyable.

Now I always shoot for under 20 lbs. My lightest has been about 12 pounds. With light loads you can concentrate on enjoying the trail. I can even fish while hiking with my pack on such as flyfishing a stream that follows the trail. I couldn't do that with a heavy pack w/out first taking it off and then backtracking hundreds of yards to pick it back up.

Bud

About 35 pounds is max for people who are in good physical condition. Less if you're not in good condition. Fortuanately it may be a bit lighter on the return trip after food, water and dog food have been consumed.

Benny

You really shouldn't go overboard, or your first trip could be your last. You don't want to break your back! Take only that which is absolutely necessary. Look around to see what you can bring that might be foldable or inflatable.

Grandpa

Backpacker magazine did a lot of tests on this. Expert packers on treadmills with electrodes etc. Their conclusion, for full enjoyment, never more than 30 % of normal body weight. I think they based that on heart rate climb after 30 % and things like that which would lower the efficiency and would require more stops. My normal weight should be 180 lbs. Therefore I can carry 54 lbs. Except I actually weigh around 200 right now so add that extra 20 lbs to my pack weight. That means I have to keep the pack weight under 34 lbs. And for me, 34 lbs is just fine. Sure, I can load up and carry 80 lbs if I have to but it sure ain't fun anymore. And many a time I have (with help getting him up there) thrown a mule deer mature buck on my shoulders weighing more than I did and carted him a couple miles to the truck. But it is not fun, just something that had to be done.

I also think that walking speed is even more important. Even with a light pack, if I try to keep up with the fast boys, I'm going to bonk. At my own pace, I can go all day and pass them up but if I try to force a little more speed, the end comes quick.

Origami

The lighter the pack is the better it feels, but don't cut the weight to where it inhibits your safety. As rule of thumb you should strive for a quarter of your own weight and as you get more experienced try for a fifth. I've been as low as 25 lbs and as heavy as 45+ lbs. 25 feels way better. You'll should never need more than forty unless you're on an expedition or mountaineering.

IndianaHiker

A lot of it depends on your pack as well. I have one packs that is closer to an ultralight pack that sucks with anything over 35 lbs. I have another bigger and heavier pack that I carry comfortable at 45lbs or better. Some pack are simply designed to be able to carry more weight.

Sophia

Just think about anything you carry for even a short distance, and see how much heavier it gets as you walk. Granted, it's a little easier to carry something on your back, but it still gets heavy. Just try to take what is absolutely necessary and try to find items that are very compact.