Grilling and Camping

lhopkins

For me, there is nothing better than grilling while camping. The problem is I really do not like using the campground grill because it is usually yucky and I do not want to lug around a charcoal grill. I bought a Rambler Grill from Char-Broil on their website and it is pretty cool. It breaks down and fits into it's own carry bag. It also has an auger that twists into ground that holds up the cooking grates over the fire. I have used it 4 times now and it works great. Does anyone have any good camping and grilling recipes?

Kitten

I don't mind using the campground grills. We just put on aluminum foil so the meat doesn't actually touch the grill.

I've never heard of the Rambler Grill, but it sounds interesting.

deltic

I don't mind using the campground grills. We just put on aluminum foil so the meat doesn't actually touch the grill.
We have done that too, but I admit that they are sometimes in such a disgusting state that you wouldn't want to go near them.

poster25

That is so true. For us it depends on the trip. If it is a day trip, we use the foil for the grill because we don't plan to be there long. However, if it is a planned trip, we take our own little grill. But we might have to check that Rambler out.

deltic

If the car is nearby it makes a big difference to what we can take, otherwise we have to make do with what is available.

HereToday

Since we are vegetarians, we never use the grill at a campground because meat has been grilled on it. We tend to have more chili, beans and veggie dogs kind of thing, and save grilling for at home.

tater03

That sounds like a pretty handy grill you have. I generally will use the campground grill also but I to put foil on it first.

poster25

If the car is nearby it makes a big difference to what we can take, otherwise we have to make do with what is available.
Yeah this is true. It depend on many factors. If we know where we are going for the day and it is a day trip, we usually just use the grill at the park. But if it is a new location, we will take our small grill just in case.

Barney

What about carrying just an ordinary grid and brace it upon two bricks and in the middle starting a fire using branches and some thick wood to hold the fire? :) We all forget how people done it ages ago. Nowadays we have magic grills that prepare the food instead of us :)

Gondor

I love grilling! Since a was a little boy I used to hike and camp with my parents all the time and the grilling was always the main event of the day. Bunch of great memories!

campclose

Where we camp there is never a campground grill at each site. We always take a grill with us. We use the Coleman camping grill. Most of the time we also take our gas grill with us too. When you camp with 3 other families you need to have a couple of grills.

We also use the campfire to cook. Most sites have big metal crates there. We will toss it over the camp fire ring and cook hot dogs and hamburgers on it.

You've got to expect to deal with a little dirt and uncleanliness when camping.

We usually will make pizza sandwiches, shish kabobs, chicken, corn on the cob, fried potatoes, and hot dogs and hamburgers each time we camp.

HereToday

What about carrying just an ordinary grid and brace it upon two bricks and in the middle starting a fire using branches and some thick wood to hold the fire? :) We all forget how people done it ages ago. Nowadays we have magic grills that prepare the food instead of us :)
Good advice, Barney! I'm inspired to try it. I will cut up some peppers and mushrooms and all kinds of good veggies, marinate them in a large margarine tub, and grill those puppies the old fashioned way.

Jane

I like that idea too, Barney. Hmmm, I wonder if they make them small enough to put in the dishwasher, when you get back home. My husband is under the impression that if you build the fire hot enough, it will burn off all the germs; but I would rather not chance it.

humorris

I agree, I have great childhood memories of going camping in pembrokeshire Wales, and having a grilled meal for supper. Fond memories indeed.