Birds

Seven

I miss my favorite part of a spring and summer morning. Hearing the birds chirping away in the midst of dawn! Winter go away so I can go camping in my solitude and enjoy nature in shorts and a tee shirt!

Refrigerator

Someone said to me yesterday that the Farmers Almanac is predicting a 100 year storm for the Atlantic states FEB 21! Wonder how accurate this is going to be?

BCBabe

Jeez, Refrigerator, I don't often brush aside Almanac info very easily, although I do take it with a grain of salt.

You're making me glad I'm on the opposite coast, though. :)

I have the most incredible diversity of birds around me - several types of gull, a merlin, bald eagles, stellar's jays, wrens and sparrows of several varieties, crows (smart buggers, let me tell you), blue herons, cormorants, mallards....

I watched the local merlin hunt and kill a pigeon recently; what made it so bizarre is that I was DRIVING at the time, in a suburb, and the pair had swooped down low over my van as the pigeon tried desperately to avoid the merlin's claws. I had feathers rain down onto the windshield, saw the pigeon to a somersault when the merlin 'tagged' it, and then lose it's fight for survival to the hungry predator.

Last edited:

campclose

I love listening to the birds in the morning too (and the crickets). It's so peaceful. What I love even more is waking up and hearing the birds and seagulls on the beach! Every time I hear anything like this it makes me think of our beach vacations.

GPER

Someone said to me yesterday that the Farmers Almanac is predicting a 100 year storm for the Atlantic states FEB 21! Wonder how accurate this is going to be?
Wow, so we are going to get dumped on the first and the last parts of Feb. can't wait for this crap.

I do love sitting in the front yard early on a summer morning feeding peanuts to the Bluejays.

Sasha

I love listening to the birds in the morning too (and the crickets). It's so peaceful. What I love even more is waking up and hearing the birds and seagulls on the beach! Every time I hear anything like this it makes me think of our beach vacations.
This is my favorite part too!! I also love to sit on the beach and watch the sunrise and sunsets each night while camping. Someday I will have my house on the water and be able to watch every day from the sand!

jacob321

I miss my favorite part of a spring and summer morning. Hearing the birds chirping away in the midst of dawn! Winter go away so I can go camping in my solitude and enjoy nature in shorts and a tee shirt!
Amen to that! and nourish yourself with a nature spa! Sunlight tanning, waterfall jacuzzi, and bird singing along your service!

hikinmike

Have enjoyed birding for some time now (don't get competitive or nutsy about a life-list).
At 62, I've been sleeping outdoors for a few years. Don't think it's an Olde Pharte musing about the good old days, but I perceive a significant decline in the volume of Dawn Chorus. Have read that the song birds are experiencing a loss of breeding and wintering habitat, and that has contributed to population declines. A sad observation over 50-some years.

oldmangunner

Thanks for the link! Theres a web cam of some peregrine falcon in Chilicothe, Ohio if I remember correctly. I just can't seem to find the link. I love that the bald eagle population is growing, a wonderful thing.

Ilovelife

I keep a bird book with me, that way if I see something interesting I can look it up. I was really excited when I saw a scarlet tanager. I had been wanting to see one of those for a long while.

InTheWoods

I really enjoy watching the birds in the Spring and now is the time. Wish I had some vacation time I could use right now... might have to settle for the weekends for now! But if you pay attention, you can see all kinds of birds migrating!